School Funding

Home Forums Living with type one School Funding

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave
      Participant

My wife was in my son’s primary school this morning dropping off and collecting a lunchbox that was forgotten yesterday for the umpteenth time. Whilst there she had a quick quick chat with a Teaching Assistant about a few things and ongoing support for the class and the school as a whole.

There is a T1 child in the top class that will be leaving to go to high school this year; a nice lad who recently switched back from pump to MDI. Anyway, when he goes a chunk of funding the school receives to support him will also disappear. Apparently it is a significant amount.

I wasn’t aware that schools received extra finding to support diabetic kids and that this amount was enough for the school to notice it’s removal. Thinking logically there will be a need for extra support and I suppose this will need to be funded from somewhere but this was the first time I’d heard about it as a separate figure. The TA also mentioned that the amounts given to support physical medical needs are noticeably greater than those provided for special educational needs based on attainment and behaviour only.

I’m guessing the parents of children with diabetes know all about this but I found it interesting to hear it for the first time.

Tim
      Keymaster

I didn’t know that either Dave – I don’t know much about children at school but the stories I hear about it usually revolve about the lack of support offered by schools to diabetic children.

I wonder if the funding ;

Alison
      Keymaster

I think it’s normally done on a case by case basis – with the parents having to submit a case to the local authority based on their child’s individual needs.

Annette A
      Participant

At the primary school where my niece and nephew used to go, they had a Down’s pupil. The school got funding for the setting up and kitting out of a complete wash/shower room just for her (because she often needed changing during the day). So it really must depend on the individual child’s needs – if a diabetic’s parents can prove they need trained medical staff available, then the local authority can be approached to pay for a member of staff to be trained, or whatever. (And, I guess, often refuse, but that’s local authorities for you.)

Dave
      Participant

After further discussion with Mrs Sowerby it is down to the parents to choose to get and be successful in getting a SEN (Special Educational Needs) statement which can then be used to gain the funding from the LEA for the school.

As with everything else it would appear to depend on where you live and how argumentative you are.

Tim
      Keymaster

Lor lummie – fancy that? Imagine anything funding / healthcare related being dependent on on your postcode / ability to understand and enforce the guidelines!

Tim
      Keymaster

In other news, why was the teacher cross-eyed?

Because she couldn’t control her pupils!

Ho ho ho!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.