‘Zoltar Speaks’ Wish Machine

Home Forums Living with type one ‘Zoltar Speaks’ Wish Machine

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

If you could have a diabetes related wish for a day a la Tom Hanks in Big what would you ask the Zoltar wish machine for?

Would it be something denied us like being an astronaut ( do the DVLA cover space travel) or maybe a juggernaut driver. Or would it be a day without hypos, a family bag of Maltesers and no thoughts of a bolus.

I wished out loud for a day off from diabetes this morning, nothing actually happened, but if it had I just wondered what I would have done differently with my day. Am I so used to living with it that I would have carried on testing, carb counting and generally worrying about making it through 24 hours safely or would I even have missed it?

Tim
      Keymaster

I wrote an article about your last paragraph here: http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2010/08/the-problem-with-a-cure/. It took ages after going onto the pump not to think “ah, 7.30pm – lantus time!”

If we’re not allowed to wish for “complete cure of diabetes”, I would wish for “100% correct basal rate settings on my pump” for a day. I would then quickly note all the settings down and re-use them the next day when the wish wore off.

Alison
      Keymaster

I’d settle for just an easy day. Let my carb counting be accurate, my carb/bolus ratios spot on, my basal rates a work of brilliance and my body in cooperative mode, not throwing in any side balls from the liver, hormones etc. That way, I’ll have a day free of diabetes worry.

I was the same as Tim, when I started on the pump I kept waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat thinking I’d forgotten to take my Lantus!

I would also quite like to be an astronaut.

Annette A
      Participant

Now if I got a record of 100% correct basal rate settings, then tried to use them the following day, they wouldnt be 100% correct, because the day would be a different one (different weather/activity levels/stress/hormones/things I’d eaten/tidal range/phase of the moon/you name it).
      When I started on the pump, I dont think I thought about lantus once. I kept thinking I’d forgotten to bring my insulin pens when we went out though…
      I’d go with @alison – an easy day with no thought/worry.
      Never fancied being an astronaut – my ears hurt too much when I fly – the thought of blasting off into space doesnt bear thinking about :-)

Tim
      Keymaster

@annette – I was thinking that as I typed the above, but thought I would skip over minor points like fluctuations! ;-)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Relatively boring & simple for me, a day where:

A. None of my blood tests hurt
      B. The right amount of blood comes out on tests (no dabbing excess hygienically onto my jeans)
      C. No black dots on my fingers & desensitised fingers from tests.
      D. No sudden thud from finger pricker which makes my mind believe it hurts more than it did (an apathetic sigh would work for me)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Not to sound like I’m jumping on the band wagon here but I think the day of perfect readings and then noting down how I did it would be top of the wish list :)

Cecile
      Participant

Dear Zoltar wish machine, I’d like to spend the amount {I could’ve saved on the money market if I’d not spent that sum on strips each month} in a day…in British terms I’ll be capable of buying a used Caterpillar excavator of +/- £23666 :D

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.