Gosh, it’s been a while hasn’t it? How’s things? Things have been mostly happy and uneventful at this end in the two years since I last blogged. Although – shock horror – I have split up with two of my diabetes old-faithfuls. Here’s a round up…
*Spoiler alert*: I’ve not been cured.
- The child has learned to read and count and now issues a judgement on any meter reading. “Wow that’s a big number!”. This is in no way helpful.
- I’ve started using new, rocket-fuel-based insulin Fiasp. More to come on that, but in brief, it works for me.
- I’ve abandoned Fruit Pastilles as my hypo treatment of choice. I was getting a bit bored with them, plus I felt I needed some thing less sweet-like so as not to confuse the child. So I’m back on glucose tabs. I almost like the raspberry ones but get annoyed by the stupid plastic tube they come in that rattles in your pocket.
- I’ve abandoned by trusty old Optium Xceed meter (manufactured circa 1905, no flowers please) and have switched to the Contour Next. It does the job perfectly well but irritates me by not switching itself off quickly when I’ve finished with it.
- I’ve started using kinesiology tape (basically duct tape for humans) to tape down my CGM transmitter. I know some people are happy to let it hang free, but I’m not one of those. I like the confidence that comes with knowing it’s not going anywhere. This stuff doesn’t even move after a day in a water park. The downside is it feels like you’re at risk of surgically removing a kidney when you take it off.
So, clearly, life changing stuff has been happening. How are things with you? Any news?