Winter misery

Home Forums Winter misery

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim
      Keymaster

Here in Edinburgh the weather is bloody awful; as a result I’ve been having loads of hypos because I’ve been shovelling so much snow, which is surprisingly hard work. Anyway, a temporary basal rate of 50% on the pump before shovelling seems to do the trick.

What are you winter miseries?

Stephen
      Participant

Scraping the ice off my 15 year old diesel lump that doesn’t heat up until you’ve gone 4 miles or so …..

But on the issue I think you were aiming at ( ;) ,) winter doesn’t bother me really diabetes wise. It’s always the summer that gets me and BGs dropping stupidly low when I get over heated.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Think I must be picking up your left over insulin @Tim – currently on temp basal of 150% to cope with cold, sore throat and temperature – Boo :(

However, cold or no cold, there’s no winter misery here today! I am extremely HAPPY to announce that I went to clinic today and my HbA1c is…… drum roll…….. 6.7%! The lowest in 24 years (since diagnosis), and the only one I’ve ever had that’s been classed as “normal”. Previous personal best was 7.9% and usual was above 10!

Pumping rocks!!

Annette A
      Participant

I seem to have developed the same sort of reaction to cold as I do to heat – ie I’ve had to reduce my basals (and I’m not shovelling snow – we’ve had very little of the white stuff here in the mid-midlands – we’ve let you northern types have it all :-) ) First year it’s happened, as well, so maybe its the pump bringing out formerly unknown quirks!
      Go @bellebe ! That rocks.

Tim
      Keymaster

Top stuff Claire – well done you! :-D

Alison
      Keymaster

@bellebe That’s amazing, congratulations!

Stephen
      Participant

Awesome @bellebe :D

Anonymous
      Inactive

My winter miseries entirely consist of my little fingers going numb as I cycle in to work – even with sodding snowboarding gloves on!

My diabetes is problematic regardless (too much change at work, some days I’ll sit on my arse all day long, and so high from lack of Lantus, then the next day, after I’ve had a bit extra to cope, I’ll be working hard all day and be in need of a steady stream of eatables…), if anything winter helps, as the cold weather gets my metabolism going at 200% and burning off that excess glucose swimming around in my system…

Oh, and well done Claire :) The longer I hang around on here the better pumping sounds…

Stephen
      Participant

@neobrainless – For what little it’s worth, my three weeks on the pump have taught me that all my fears were unfounded. I’ve yet to have a problem being attached to it and it’s making serious in roads into my dawn phenom. Definitely worth a chat with your DSN, even if it’s just to get an intro :)

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Stephen – Hmmm, maybe… But has your (or anyone else’s) experience included things like the middle of a mosh pit? As I am a HUGE fan of live music, and when my knees are working correctly I like a bit of a shove around – I don;t think it would be great to have a needle in me while I was doing that! And changing around between pump and pens I can imagine being a pain in the arse, especially if it’s at least once a month… I dunno, I don’t really care enough atm – which is bad news for my bloods, but there we go, I’ll perk up in spring I’m sure :P
      / rant/moan/whinge

Tim
      Keymaster

Pumps are – in my humble opinion – a better tool than MDI. But it’s all about what works for you – if MDI works better because of manic moshing then it’s the treatment for you! Personally, I wouldn’t worry too much about moshing and pumping; you can tuck it safely out of sight and harm’s way – after all @roscomac manages to go out on a lifeboat with his! :-)

Alison
      Keymaster

@neobrainless Hard to believe though it is, I’m not a great mosher. However, I can’t imagine the pump being a problem, just stick it in your pocket. Unless you’re into naked moshing in which case I will admit I’d be nervous of someone catching my tubing ;-)

Why would you need to change between pumps and pens at least once a month? I don’t understand.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Alison – I was assuming the if pumping and moshing weren’t compatible (which I’m still apprehensive of the idea – it’s the needle getting ripped out that’s concerning me!) then if I go to lots of gigs again (used to be pretty much monthly) then I would be swapping around a lot. Conceivably. Thankfully I’m ont a naked mosher – there are few things less pleasant than the super sweaty half naked men that slide around in many pits *shudders* like some kind of horrific eel with elbows…

Stephen
      Participant

@neobrainless – not a needle for starters unless you choose to go that way. Mine’s a 6mm teflon tube that I can’t feel. Also for it to be ripped out, someone would need to get hold of the tube. Simple fix would be to wear a sports bag (think bum bag but not as lame) around your waist/upper stomach with pump in it. That means only 1″ or so of tube is exposed, and that would be half way up your stomach. If that’s visible to the outside sweaty world you need a larger t-shirt size :)

Drop me a PM if you want me to send you a pic of my rather scary naked belly with a sports bag on to demonstrate what I mean :)

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.