How fast can you do a set change?

Home Forums Living with type one How fast can you do a set change?

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim
      Keymaster

As I did my regular pump set change this morning, I noticed how much quicker I do them than when I first started pumping. I neglected to time it but will do next time I do one. Use this thread to record how quickly you can do a complete set change (including filling reservoir).* The fastest time wins the Internet.

* blah blah blah, irresponsible, blah blah blah, shouldn’t rush delicate medical procedures, blah blah blah, it’s not a competition blah blah blah

Angie
      Participant

Oh dammit, I just did one this morning! Though it was a very lazy one, since I was checking my emails at the same time so I would never have won…

(Delicate medical procedure! HA!)

Tim
      Keymaster

He he he! Okay then, second competition – how many things can you do while changing a set? I too often check email while doing one.

lizz
      Participant

Really? I become all fingers and thumbs. I just want to get it done… if I did anything else I’d forget something… it certainly doesn’t take long, anyway!

Tim
      Keymaster

Timed my set change this morning – 2 minutes 25 seconds. Beat that!

Alison
      Keymaster

OK, if this is getting serious, I need to understand the rules. Is that 2min 25 seconds from when you actually sit down with all the stuff around you, or does it include getting out the new set/reservoir/insulin/finding inserter thingy/opening all the packs/taking trousers down etc? Or is that from when you have the harpoon loaded and ready to hit the flesh?

Angie
      Participant

3 minutes 6 seconds! Damn!

On an animas, with everything in front of me but nothing opened, up to filling the canula at the end…

(I’m sure the fact that I hit a blood vessel and had to change the site ten minutes later is simply a coincidence…)

Tim
      Keymaster

Okay – I think Angie & I have established that you start with all the kit in front of you (but unopened), pump attached and you finish when you rip off the old set.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Pah!! I laugh at your 2 and 3 minute slick changeovers. What about 5 minutes 50 under a magnifying screen with 75% of my sight missing. I curse at the transparent plastic reservoir and tubing as I can’t see where it starts or ends. I put in a request for neon tinted tubing and reservoirs so I stood a chance of seeing them but the rep didn’t seem keen.

Tim
      Keymaster

Just under 6 minutes with 25% vision is bloody good; but do we need a handicapping system as per golf? Maybe one gets an extra 20 seconds per 10% vision lost or something? [Said with a very large ;-) ]

Alison
      Keymaster

2 minutes 1 second, but I think if I put my mind to it I should be able to sneak in under the 2 minute mark. It did take me twice as long to tidy up afterwards though, because usually I put stuff in the bin as a go along, but for speed I just chucked it all on the bed and then had to weed out the inserter, insulin bottle etc from the rest of the rubbish at the end.

I also felt like an idiot sitting there with my mobile phone in stopwatch mode.

@megs I think blindfolded set changes may be the way forward for a fair competition (and I bet you’d win that one hands down), but I fear we might need to write a significant legal disclaimer to protect ourselves before we go there!

Annette A
      Participant

Surely it also depends on how long a tube you use? I use a mid length tube (60cm) which must take longer to prime than the short (30cm) ones – so I think we need all the data given – I took 2 min 45 sec with an accutrend Spirit pump and 60cm tubing.
      I have enought trouble getting bubbles out of my tubing with full sight! I’d be hopeless with poor vision.

Alison
      Keymaster

Fair point, I use the short 30cm tubing with a Medtronic pump so must have saved a good few seconds that way.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@alison, blindfold set changing really would be a hardcore niche event only for the very brave.
      I’ll settle for under 6 minutes with the added handicap of 60cm tubing and the pressure of watching the seconds tick by.

Dave
      Participant

A little late to this race. I come in at a respectable 2min 39sec with a 30cm tube. I’m certain I can shave a few seconds off that as I had bubble trouble on filling the reservoir. However, I countered that by selecting an easy to reach stomach site that is always quick than on the side.

Game on!

Alison
      Keymaster

Ah, now site tactics are coming into play too, I hadn’t thought of that @seasiderdave. I’ve never looked forward to set changes so much!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ve got one to do tomorrow, but fear I will be slowed down by early morning bleariness.

Alison
      Keymaster

Excuses, excuses @Mike. Do it before dinner tonight so you’re not hampered by early morning bleariness :)

Anonymous
      Inactive

What?! And waste all those valuable units of insulin @alison ??? Do you want me to bankrupt the NHS singlehanded?

Alison
      Keymaster

Ah, but your frugality may just cost you the title of super set changer! The decisions we diabetics have to make are always so hard

Dave
      Participant

This could go on for years. We can have league tables ad everything.

Maybe handicaps for those with years of experience and bonuses for restricted sight changes.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I can’t do a set change now without timing myself and trying to break my previous personal best. The pressure!

Dave
      Participant

Down to 2m12.0 but time lost unsticking the set from the serter.

Definitely under two mins next time. I know I’ve got the advantages though with a 60cm tube and 0.1u cannula fill.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Rubbish! Over 5 minutes. In my defence it was the first time I’d tried a Silhouette with their serter thinghy, but even so I don’t think I’ll ever catch up with you lot…

Only a 0.1u fill @seasiderdave? I thought it was s’posed to be 0.3?

Alison
      Keymaster

Interesting, I use 0.4u for the 6mm Quicksets, I find 0.3 isn’t quite enough for me, and 0.1 would have me rising after every set change.

Dave
      Participant

‘Tis true. After multiple hypos (not just waffy moments) from giving 0.3 I dropped to 0.1 and still receive a reassuring slight drop afterwards. I know there’s no logic and physics says it’s not enough but that’s what I experience so I’m sticking with it.

How are you finding the silhuoette @mike?

Anonymous
      Inactive

I tried one ‘long’ one on my saline week and wasn’t keen. This one is the shorter version and so far it’s pretty comfy. Tried Mios (and have one left to have a go with) but have had a kinked cannula/no delivery and really didn’t get on with the self-serter which surprised me. Sure-T was completely pain-free insertion and and v comfy but i found the ‘double sticky’ annoying to an irrational degree.

Still everything to play for!

Anonymous
      Inactive

As a MDI’er I’m feeling rather left out :(
      Maybe I can time each of my injections over a 3 day period and see if I can compete that way?!

Alison
      Keymaster

@aoife Why not! Or how long it takes to change the cartridge and needle on your pen (unless you use disposable pens in which case that takes away all the cartridge changing fun).

Alison
      Keymaster

Agh, I’m getting worse, down to 2.12 after the sticky on the Quickset got stuck on the inserter. Must try harder.

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.