Diabetes UK – Test Are You A Type 1 or 2

Home Forums Living with type one Diabetes UK – Test Are You A Type 1 or 2

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

The above website invites you to take a test to see if you could become a type 1 or 2 diabetic. Apparently I am at low risk (Phew) but it would be interesting to know if any of us T1s could become a T2 or vice versa ?

Tim
      Keymaster

The linkypoo is here: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/riskscore

Tim
      Keymaster

Ahhhh noooo! My results are:

You are rated at increased risk of diabetes.

You have a 1 in 50 chance of having diabetes and a 1 in 10 chance that you could develop diabetes in the next 10 years

Anonymous
      Inactive

heheheh, that was fun, am going to get my sisters to try it twice, once mentioning me, and once not, to see what effect that has… :)
      Result:
      You are rated at low risk of diabetes.

This means you have a 1 in 200 chance of having diabetes now and a 1 in 20 chance that you could develop diabetes in the next 10 years.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks Tim

I’m really new to all this computer business and I forgot the link. Why is it that as soon as you log off the computer you remember what you had originally gone on for!!

Annette A
      Participant

Interesting – I did it, and despite my ticking the ‘I have a relative with type 1 or 2 (my Dad’s T2) it still reckoned I am at the same low risk as @neobrainless.
      Got the husband to try as well – and even with his mum being ‘pre-diabetic’ (ie, she really is T2 but as long as she follows a decent diet, she thinks she isnt diabetic yet…I gave up trying to explain after the first time) he also is ‘low risk’.
      So which are the risk factors that move you up if genetics dont? (Or perhaps that should be what do I have good that cancels out the bad?) – decent BMI? Small waist measurement? No high blood pressure? Thoughts?

Cecile
      Participant

I did it it 3 times: once with my full regalia (my dad’s a T2, too & I use an ACE inhibitor) – ended up with risky business. Second time round, I didn’t mention dad, but I kept using blood pressure meds and ended up “low risk”…3d time I dropped BP meds, but kept dad – “low risk” once more…haven’t drunk shrinking Alice-drops or become pregnant to see what they do to my T2 karma :)

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Annette – I reckon it’s a low BMI and/or waistline that makes a big difference… As T2 is all about resistance, being a person of larger than average size is a fairly good pointer I would have thought (though not, of course, 100% accurate!)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Following all the news re diabetes and its blanket approach it does suggest that you will be at a higher risk if you are obese. However, some T2s are due to genetics rather than lifestyle.

I think its just your luck if your diagnosed as a T1. Sometimes life is to short about worrying why you have it just get on with it and enjoy yourself. We need more money spent on how to live with it.

Interesting results though

Tim
      Keymaster

I think it came out as saying I was at increase risk of what I suspect is type two because my BMI is slightly higher than it should be. This is because I need a layer of fat round my stomach for effective subcutaneous injections. Honest.

Anyway; I agree with you @mustard – Type One seems to be just down to bad luck. *shakes fist at pancreas gods*

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Tim :O What are the names of the pancreas gods?! They are gonna be taking some abuse from me when I find ’em! :P

Also, I have been telling myself the same thing! ‘Sadly’ my body doesn’t like putting on fat on my belly. It’s annoying, ’cause sometimes sliding your trousers down just isn’t appropriate…

Tim
      Keymaster

@neobrainless – the pancreas gods are called Susan and Anthony. Slightly unassuming perhaps, but that’s gods of internal organs for you.

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

The screen started flashing red and told me, “Arrange your funeral NOW!” :P

Cecile
      Participant

@teloz: At least it’ll cost you nothing – just be as sweet as a pot of jam right before you kick* the bucket, then you’ll be a well-preserved garden ornament, ready for horticultural installment ;)

*And if you lose your feet, you’ll be immortal!

Tim
      Keymaster

I heard of a wonderful way of finding out whether you were type one or two the other day. “Take away the insulin from both your suspected type one and two. If one dies fairly quickly then they were type one, if they last longer then they were type two”. Hurrah!

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Tim, is it wrong to have giggled at that? Ok, I lol’d then remembered I’m a Type 1.5 (*~*)

Anonymous
      Inactive

@GeezDaw – If it is wrong, then I’m as wrong, if not more so – I laughed properly at it :P

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.