Diabetes advice in one sentence

Home Forums Diabetes advice in one sentence

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim
      Keymaster

If you were confronted with a newly-diagnosed diabetic (of any type) and you could, for some inexplicable reason, only give them one piece of advice that could be encapsulated in one sentence, what would your advice be?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Moderation of everything, but enjoy your life you only get one chance.

Stephen
      Participant

Don’t inject your insulin straight out of the fridge …

Tim
      Keymaster

Get a good pharmacist…

Anonymous
      Inactive

Life ain’t over. Not by a long shot. (ok, that’s two sentences… substitute a semicolon if it bothers you.)

Annette A
      Participant

Find your limits, and live your life up to them.

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

Never take anything for granted, test, test, test! (Pity I don’t practice what I preach… :))

Anonymous
      Inactive

Sometimes it won’t feel like it but this is something you can control, just count carbs, carry sweets, test lots and keep asking questions.

Cecile
      Participant

You’re not alone, thanks to OCPD*…

*Online Community of People with Diabetes (euphemism for Shoot Up); though also having Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder should make things easier: all those strings of finicky details which you have to pull, daily chances of achieving that perfect 5, and you’re allowed to hoard a huge caboodle of crap/kit…welcome to paradise!

Anonymous
      Inactive

You’ll need some self discipline, but if you get it right your life shouldn’t have to change that much.

Anonymous
      Inactive

You could of course be really evil and say” Don’t believe what the docs say eat what you want, when you want and don’t worry about injecting/taking tablets every day, a b/s reading of 15+ is brilliant!”

Tim
      Keymaster

Try and meet other diabetics, you’ll pick up more useful tips in ten minutes than you will in an hour with a DSN or ten years with a GP

Cecile
      Participant

Stay right here for Great British comedy, go here for carb counting calculations, and here for a mobile carb-insulin calculator.

Stephen
      Participant

Or http://www.fridayforward.com/ for a really good iPhone app :)

Anonymous
      Inactive

@stephen – agreed! DiabetesDiary is tops

Anonymous
      Inactive

Don’t hide from it.

Alison
      Keymaster

You didn’t choose to get diabetes, but you can choose your attitude and how you’re going to deal with it.

Anonymous
      Inactive

*notes down responses*

Anyone got any more? I have a friend who had a blood test today to see if he’s go diabetes, so I might be wanting lots more advice soon! D:

Weird, trying not to be happy about it ;) Would be nice to have someone to chat to about it! lol…

Anonymous
      Inactive

But Rohan we are your friends. You can ask us anything and the answer’s will be sarcastic, exceedingly funny or down right lies! Best way to be really. Love to all my fellow SUorPU friends

Anonymous
      Inactive

Just say what I was asked by 40 year old woman at the local job centre after being rushed into hospital at 2am and released later that morning, when I was out of work years ago “WHEN ARE YOU GONNA GET BETTER THEN?” !!!!

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.