Winter music listening

Home Forums Winter music listening

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim
      Keymaster

Following the entertaining off-topic “summer reading” thread elsewhere on the forums, I thought I would kick off a winter music listening thread. Who’s your current favourite listen?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Well, Tori Amos will always be my girl……now that winter has come I thoroughly recommend “Midwinter Graces”, so befitting for this season, very magical and ethereal (if you like that sorta thing). Otherwise, since watching BBC4’s Nirvana and Pearl Jam nights I’ve revisited the grunge era of my teenage years……..I was last seen screeching the lyrics “Know myself better than you!!!!” while driving to work appointments in my car. Music is the only thing that gets me through the drudgery of life.

Tim
      Keymaster

Because I was always a big fan of Arab Strap, I’ve lately been listening to Bill Wells & Aidan Moffat (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu_qjcsF6Gs) [said Aiden Moffat being one half of the now defunct Arab Strap] . Utterly miserable stuff but very good.

Anonymous
      Inactive

My last album purchase was ‘Ashes and Fire’ by Ryan Adams (please note the lack of ‘B’ in the forename, it is crucial). Gently melodic, folksy noodling with just a whiff of country twang. Lovely.

Alison
      Keymaster

@Mike You’ve just shattered my dreams with that critical missing “B” – I was building up quite a picture of you crooning along to Everything I Do I Do It For You.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hmmmm maybe not… But I *can* do a mean ‘Summer of 69’ intro – Hold down that D-major chord and struuuuuum! ;)

Tim
      Keymaster

@dani – on your recommendation I bought a copy of Midwinter Graces the other day – a nice wee album!

Tim
      Keymaster

@Mike – do you play that on your first real six string? And, perchance, did you play it until your fingers bled?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Well, till my fingers ‘got a little bit sore’ anyway (which doesn’t really scan so well I suppose).

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Tim – Well I’m honoured you bought Midwinter Graces on my recommendation! And very glad you think it’s a nice album……would have been awful if you got it home, excitedly put it on your stereo/ipod and thought “wtf is this load of shite?!? Thanks Dani! I want my £9.99 back!”

It’s certainly not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s very evocative and seasonal……http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdOQJAryIsc

Personally, I only play it this time of year and then I go back to her grittier stuff for a bit of angst and vitriol!

On another note, here’s the best cover version of a really cheesy Christmas ‘classic’ (anyone remember TFI Friday?)……………..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16CRyfqwdg

Tim
      Keymaster

Having listened to it more now (I’d been busy listening to the new Kate Bush album) I would upgrade it from “nice” to “good” with some great songs on it. Mixing and production – even by Tori Amos standards – is really great on the album (except for the strong on Our New Year – which sound rotten). Hey hum!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hmm. My latest purchase was an album by progressive metal band Theocracy. Loving the heck out of that one. I want to get my hands on the new Nightwish album, though.

Tim
      Keymaster

I’ve just got the latest Medadeth album – I guess my metal tastes are a little more old-school :-)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Megadeth is cool. I’m more of a prog/power guy myself, which makes my favorite old-school metaller Ronnie James Dio (RIP).

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.