Unexpected benefits of diabetes

Home Forums Unexpected benefits of diabetes

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim
      Keymaster

This week my watch battery ran out. The watch-battery-replacing-people are a two minute walk from my office – so obviously I haven’t got around to having it replaced yet. In the meantime, I’ve been using the clock on my pump as a sort of very expensive pocket watch, which has proven very handy.

So what unexpected benefits of diabetes have you experienced recently?

Anonymous
      Inactive

@tim Did you have any issues with the time change or is it a simple matter of updating said time and your infused body carry on as normal? Me was a little late with the “old skool” lantus.. Damn body clock! :)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Having a never ending supply of sweets, eating healthier than most other people, and using it as an excuse not to do something (like, ‘I’m not going to the gym, my bs is too high/low’ – I don’t do this, honestly) :)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Being able to scare away small children by brandishing syringes? haha?
      I never do this by the way! :)

Anonymous
      Inactive

@clare Hi Clare, I welcome to the Shoot Up site.. I used to do to colleagues soon after I was diagnosed (at 20).. Run at them with a NovoPen. hehehe

Never did get that promotion? Emmmm.. :)

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

Nice one @clare; now why didn’t I think of that? :P

Annette A
      Participant

I get a ‘service kit’ for the pump/meter that includes a battery cover, a cartridge cover, and 2 sets of batteries for both pump and meter. I am finding that I dont get through the batteries as often as ‘average’ (I guess because I have a low basal and eat low carbs, so less power on pumping insulin) because I have to change the battery/cartridge cover about as often as I have to change (1) set of batteries. So I now have a large set of (free) batteries that are coming in handy for remote controls, clocks, etc…

Tim
      Keymaster

@mikeinspain – I just adjusted the time on the pump and carried on as normal.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ok this is genuine; I know it’s unusual when coming from me.. :)

I would not have had the opportunity to have met some fine people and to also be a part of this kindred spirited community.. **vomit** :)

Also got over severe fear of needles within about 5 mins of ending up in A/E upon diagnosis.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Mike Thanks, I’ve been lurking for a while and decided to join in with the fun! I apparently gave my sister a phobia of needles brandishing said syringes. Hmph. Everyone blames the diabetic. haha

Anonymous
      Inactive

I used it as an excuse to get out of looking like a weed at work. Undoing a certain set of bolts requires a HELL of a lot of power, and I’ve been a bit out of shape recently, so I just said ‘oooh, sorry mate, I’m feeling a bit low, you’ll have to take this round, I’ll do ’em up on the build!’ He wasn’t best pleased as (somewhat counter-intuitively) doing them up requires about 1/3 of the torque!

I’ll also second (or third, or whatever number it is) the extra sweets sentiment! I do love that one. At work I’m the only one to get to chomp of chocolate IN FRONT of the managers! :P

Cecile
      Participant

I’ve been holding this back in fear that someone who’s not diabetic seeing it and wising up: those boxes that harbour disposable pens are excellent places to hide pieces of cheese you’re loath to share with anyone :-9

Tim
      Keymaster

Ha ha ha! Diabetes disposables used for hoarding cheese – brilliant! :-D

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

@ckoei – Wallace and Gromit would be proud of you! :D

Anonymous
      Inactive

What?! I knew I was missing a trick! I’m going to have to get hold of some of these disposables – one can never have enough stealth/surprise cheese! :D

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

You can always use old needle covers for dancing finger puppets with plastic legs, you can even make them tap dance! :P

‘My word! The arms in this white jacket are a bit long! What do you mean, “All the better for fastening them behind your back…?”‘ 🙄

Anonymous
      Inactive

Away from home? That piece of gadgetry needing the reset button pushed? Whip out that universal pokey thing formerly known as a lancet.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Playing on the fact that most non-diabetics have very little idea what we are or are not “allowed” to eat (forget DAFNE for now) you can pretty much always get out of eating something you don’t fancy. “Sorry, too much sugar” “Sorry, only allowed x amount of carbs” “Sorry, not allowed to eat withing x amount of time from last meal”

Anonymous
      Inactive

Similar to the above comment; using other peoples’ lack of knowledge about it to get out of doing things you don’t want to. “Oh I really want to go, but my insulin blood stuff thingy is acting extra mumbo jumbo today, it’s very awkward and complicated, you wouldn’t understand.”

And the thin bits of plastic that protect the needles are good to chew like a farmer.

Tim
      Keymaster

@skellehe – he he he! Chewing stuff like a farmer is part of my daily routine, so plastic bits are a huge benefit! :-D

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.