Potential Thread Necromancy ahead: Apps for Data Crunching

Home Forums Living with type one Potential Thread Necromancy ahead: Apps for Data Crunching

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Mornings all.

I am still reading up on the rest of the site (and I hope not to drag back anything written before 1999. Honest!) – and came across the review of the Glooko logbook and meter sync cable.

I’ve been using something similar for an android device (which is apparently available for all sorts of stuff – including the home PC). Software is called Sidiary (don’t ask me why) – and should be available in all sorts of languages. There a basal rate can be entered, and it does some numbercrunching (like calculate an HbA1c) and fabulous pie charts, in colour, with ribbons!

Still getting used to entering data there, so I’m not quite ready to offer a decent review – but it might be worth looking at.

Tim
      Keymaster

Some of your links went a bit awry – so I’ve fixed them for you. Anyway, I’ve messed around with quite a few bits of software over the last few years; but nothing’s really hit the sweet spot of decent analysis and ease of use. So I just make things up as I go along.

That said, I’m always interested in new stuff – if you fancy writing a guest review then please feel free, just drop me an email at tim@shootuporputup.co.uk!

Cecile
      Participant

It seems your husband Andy has nabbed all mention of brands from your post to barter for a drink at the pub. Or perhaps Fire Vertical’s now into brand banning and we have to use euphemisms? On and off, I still make use of Glycaemic Wave Rider: it’s now also available on HumanRobot…

Anonymous
      Inactive

The very best data logging app I have ever come across (and I have tried quite a few) is mySugr. They are promising a ‘droid version for you iPhobes, but it is currently available in the App store for fruit-based phone/iPod/iPad owners. Excellent data input/handling/search(yay!)/reporting/averaging (inc copious notes and tagging if you like that sort of thing, even TBR %/duration etc for pumpers) and a quirky sense of humour that even manages to make logging kinda fun. Hard to believe I know!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oh… link if anyone wants to check it out: http://mysugr.com/companion/

Anonymous
      Inactive

Downloaded it already, think I am going to have fun with my diabetes monster!

Angie
      Participant

Ohhh…I’ve been coveting the mysugr app for a while, but unfortunately I’m one of those Android types, and they still don’t have it available yet 🙁 *waits not-so-patiently*

Anonymous
      Inactive

Drop Frederik a line Angie (a T1 himself). He might be able to put you on the ‘beta tester’ team for the ‘droid version if you are able to provide feedback on bugs etc.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I downloaded mySugr a couple of weeks ago and must admit it’s a bit of fun! It would be nice to change a few of the tags to make it more personalised but otherwise it’s all there. Not sure whether I’m prepared to pay for the pro version though.

The other app I use is Track3 which does everything I need it too and allows me to tailor it more but is lacking a little green monster!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I tend to either run non-pro or just use the weekly ‘challenges’ to a) keep me going and b) give me a possible 6-9 days of ‘Pro’ every week.

For many though I guess the Pro payment would just be easier – and at least it keeps the company going!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I saw mySugr mentioned a few times on English-speaking blogs. I have to admit, when I checked the webpage their “this app is especially useful for children” turned me away again. Might have to overcome my reluctance and give it another go with this much positive feedback 🙂

Tim
      Keymaster

Well, I’ve used it for the last three hours and have entered my morning tests and lunch carbs, etc. At this early stage I would say it’s the best app for logging that I’ve tried thus far. It’s quick to add things, the interface looks nice and clear, it seems to record useful stuff (like 7 day deviation).

Interestingly it also has a clever game-like points system. Every time you do something – like enter data – you get a few points (a little ball with a number wings across the screen) and this fills up a bar chart. So as we speak (or I type) I’m at 19 points out of 50. I’m not sure what’ll happen when I get to 50 but it’s a good way of keeping your interest.

There’s also a wee on-screen diabetes monster which I’ve named “Fred”. I’m not sure what he’s for but it shows the designer has a sense of humour – which is a massive change from the very dry and very boring apps from boring, boring healthcare boring providers. Boring.

Tim
      Keymaster

Revisiting this topic, I see that mySugr is now available on Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mysugr.android.companion

I’ve just downloaded it to my spanking new phone and will report back on it later.

Alison
      Keymaster

I’ve heard lots of good things about mysugr. Not enough to lure me into actually maintaining diabetes records, but if I was going to be sensible and do that I’d probably start with mysugr.

I’ll be interested to hear whether it meets your high standards.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.