No Carb Treats are there any?

Home Forums No Carb Treats are there any?

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

My friends daughter is 11 and has had diabetes since she was 2. At the moment she uses the Novopen and her bloods are often raised after coming home from school. Her doctor has said not to have any carb after school but she is hungry. What foods would you turn to? Ideally no carb, low calorie? How do/did you satisfy your food cravings?

Tim
      Keymaster

Pork scratchings – wildly unhealthy, high fat, filling – but no carbs!

Fruit is a good option I guess – lowish carb but nice and filling. I love a nice orange of an evening!

Annette A
      Participant

I make biscuits using soy flour.they are virtually carb free (about 1.5 per biscuit) so I can have a couple whenever I fancy a treat (they freeze well and can be eaten straight out of the freezer)

lizz
      Participant

Fruit has a huge amount of carbs which go almost straight into the blood – especially orange! How could you suggest that! The GI of an orange is massive. In fact, I never eat them for this reason.

I’d do nuts. Rich in good fats, protein and fibre, but low in carbohydrates. Protein satisfies hunger pangs longer than anything else. Almonds are best. But might be a bit bitter for a child. Macadamias, brazils, walnuts, pecans are all good choices. Avoid peanuts, they are not a good thing to eat, they aren’t really nuts and can contain unpleasant products of a fungus called aflatoxins.

Rice cakes contain almost no carbohydrate – one with almond butter (not peanut butter) on should keep her ok for a while.

Alison
      Keymaster

I always had raw veg for low carb food as a child, and still do now. A chunk of cucumber, some tomatoes (let’s not get onto whether they’re a fruit or a veg), a raw carrot, maybe some cheese/cottage cheese, stick of celery (with philidelphia if you want to liven it up).

Annette A
      Participant

Really? I’ve never had problems with oranges, and I eat them all the time. But I was told that they are among the hardest to actually digest, so maybe its my poor digestion working for me for once…
      If you’re doing nuts (a good choice, I’d agree), watch out for pistachios as well. They can cause minor allergic reactions if you eat too many (and how many too many is you don’t know until you’ve eaten it…) Try cashew nut butter as an alternative to almond nut butter (if you dont want to eat peanuts – I have no problems, but as Lizz says, some people cant/wont) – also works lovely on celery…

Tim
      Keymaster

Oranges aren’t a problem for me either – hence me suggesting them. Won’t be the first area in which your diabetes may ;

Alison
      Keymaster

Oranges are fine for me too, although I would always bolus for at least 15g CHO for one so wouldn’t count it as a low carb snack.

Anonymous
      Inactive

…I love peanuts me. LOVE EM.

Tim
      Keymaster

I love peanuts too! Hurrah for peanuts!

lizz
      Participant

Oh, I love them. But they are VERY prone to growing mould.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Not round my house they’re not!
      Yrs Greedily

lizz
      Participant

Lol!! They’d have it before they got to you! And you can’t tell…

Anonymous
      Inactive

Mmmmmmmm mouldy peanuts [slurp!]

Anonymous
      Inactive

I used to have fruit/oat/cereal bars which were a recipe from one of the diabetes cookbooks… Hmm. Why isn’t there a recipe section on the blog ;-)

I now use fruit, healthy, healthy fruit…

… When I can’t find pork scratchings that is

Tim
      Keymaster

Recipe section? We’ve got one right here http://betes.co.uk/recipes of course. ;-)

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Tim…. very impressed to see recipe section but ….”.I love horses??” It did make me laugh.

My friend thanks everyone for their response and her daughter is now happier eating some of the food suggested.

Tim
      Keymaster

Horses? I don’t know what you’re talking about…

lizz
      Participant

Horses are large mammals, which have been used for a very long time by humans as a way to travel more quickly. Nowadays they have been replaced by the car, but are still used in sport. I’m surprised you’ve never heard of them, Tim.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.