Helping ShootUp take over the world

Home Forums Living with type one Helping ShootUp take over the world

Tagged: 

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Author
      Alison
      Keymaster

World domination has always been the stated aim of ShootUp, with an active sideline in the whole diabetes thing.

We have great bunch of readers and lurkers, but we want more. There are too many people out there without access to decent diabetes based humour and poorly written blog posts.

This is where you lot come in. Have you any ideas how we can spread the word about ShootUp to the unfortunate souls who know nothing of the despond and despair we offer?

How did you find us? How else could we have got at you if we didn’t get you that way? Any ideas on how we could spread the word more widely?

Thoughts appreciated.

Tim
      Keymaster

One of the top search strings that people use to find the site is “king charles spaniel” (that’s what Neville is, after all) and it brings us quite a lot of traffic. So I think fewer posts about diabetes and more about dogs! Yay!

Tim
      Keymaster

One of the top search strings that people use to find the site is “king charles spaniel” (that’s what Neville is, after all) and it brings us quite a lot of traffic. So I think fewer posts about diabetes and more about dogs! Yay!

Tim
      Keymaster

Another question to add to Alison’s is do you want us to be on any other social media sites? We do Facebook and (grudgingly) twitter but what about the others?

Tim
      Keymaster

Another question to add to Alison’s is do you want us to be on any other social media sites? We do Facebook and (grudgingly) twitter but what about the others?

lizz
      Participant

Hmmm… well, I could do a thread on Lola the labradoodle alert dog for diabetes. that would cover 3 subjects. If you can publish a picture it would be easier – i did one somewhere on here but it wasn’t easy – it didn’t show up on the thread I don’t think.

I THINK I found my way by reading about you on the Diabetes UK site.

What about sending a letter to Balance? And to IDDT? Both are well read magazines. People who read and are interested about their condition are the most likely candidates.

Send a photocopy-able leaflet to every head diabetes nurse in the UK? Our clinic has loads of leaflets. Some nurses may just throw it away, some will photocopy it and put it in the leaflet displayers.

lizz
      Participant

Hmmm… well, I could do a thread on Lola the labradoodle alert dog for diabetes. that would cover 3 subjects. If you can publish a picture it would be easier – i did one somewhere on here but it wasn’t easy – it didn’t show up on the thread I don’t think.

I THINK I found my way by reading about you on the Diabetes UK site.

What about sending a letter to Balance? And to IDDT? Both are well read magazines. People who read and are interested about their condition are the most likely candidates.

Send a photocopy-able leaflet to every head diabetes nurse in the UK? Our clinic has loads of leaflets. Some nurses may just throw it away, some will photocopy it and put it in the leaflet displayers.

lizz
      Participant

By the way, this grey is deadly dull. I almost fell asleep half way through my post. If you don’t want your hard won fans to leave and thus deplete your membership, I suggest a little colour. Tim. TIM? Are you listening? Purple would be nice. And some pictures of frogs.

lizz
      Participant

By the way, this grey is deadly dull. I almost fell asleep half way through my post. If you don’t want your hard won fans to leave and thus deplete your membership, I suggest a little colour. Tim. TIM? Are you listening? Purple would be nice. And some pictures of frogs.

Annette A
      Participant

Frogs are good. And hedgehogs.

Annette A
      Participant

Frogs are good. And hedgehogs.

Annette A
      Participant

(Seriously? I’m supposed to take this seriously? Come on.)

Annette A
      Participant

(Seriously? I’m supposed to take this seriously? Come on.)

Tim
      Keymaster

@Lizz – I like the grey – it’s restful! The front page needs a bit more tweaking though – I’m not quite happy with it.

Oh and an article about Lola would be very interesting – lets walk and talk on the email.

Tim
      Keymaster

@Lizz – I like the grey – it’s restful! The front page needs a bit more tweaking though – I’m not quite happy with it.

Oh and an article about Lola would be very interesting – lets walk and talk on the email.

lizz
      Participant

Walk and talk – you know my mail address!

lizz
      Participant

Walk and talk – you know my mail address!

Dave
      Participant

Whilst grey is not great purple is a horrible colour.

I did get a plug into the last Balance but to be honest it would need a full page article and then some to generate any visitors under the age of 78.

Unfortunately for you Tim I think Twitter is the future. Just follow as many diabetics from around the world as you can. And also change your description to include a bit about the forum and how it’s a more light-hearted forum. As you know traffic generates traffic and getting a few of the big hitting DOCers to recommend will do wonders to improve the flow.

Dave
      Participant

Whilst grey is not great purple is a horrible colour.

I did get a plug into the last Balance but to be honest it would need a full page article and then some to generate any visitors under the age of 78.

Unfortunately for you Tim I think Twitter is the future. Just follow as many diabetics from around the world as you can. And also change your description to include a bit about the forum and how it’s a more light-hearted forum. As you know traffic generates traffic and getting a few of the big hitting DOCers to recommend will do wonders to improve the flow.

Dave
      Participant

Oh and maybe update the monthly poll monthly instead of seasonally ;)

Dave
      Participant

Oh and maybe update the monthly poll monthly instead of seasonally ;)

Tim
      Keymaster

@seasiderdave – Yeah, I know what you mean; but I don’t neccessarily want to focus on getting other diabetic bloggers reading and commenting (of course, they are more than welcome to!). We want normal, relatively literate diabetics who don’t normally frequent websites. So maybe Balance, etc., is the way forward. Who knows?

And what’s wrong with grey! I like it! :-)

Tim
      Keymaster

@seasiderdave – Yeah, I know what you mean; but I don’t neccessarily want to focus on getting other diabetic bloggers reading and commenting (of course, they are more than welcome to!). We want normal, relatively literate diabetics who don’t normally frequent websites. So maybe Balance, etc., is the way forward. Who knows?

And what’s wrong with grey! I like it! :-)

Tim
      Keymaster

And as for the poll – please feel free to suggest new poll options! I’ll be damned if I can think of any at the minute ;-)

Tim
      Keymaster

And as for the poll – please feel free to suggest new poll options! I’ll be damned if I can think of any at the minute ;-)

Dave
      Participant

Balance sounds like it would be best then. Maybe renaming DUK as your 1st favourite diabetes charity might improve the chances.

Hey, you pay for the hosting; pick whichever you want.

I’ll have a think about the poll. If not maybe we could pick our favourite Polish person?

Dave
      Participant

Balance sounds like it would be best then. Maybe renaming DUK as your 1st favourite diabetes charity might improve the chances.

Hey, you pay for the hosting; pick whichever you want.

I’ll have a think about the poll. If not maybe we could pick our favourite Polish person?

Anonymous
      Inactive

I joined after reading Tim and Alison’s post in the Abbott mag. Thank god I did didn’t like DUK some pretty scary opinionated people, far too serious! Having just joined I find Twitter a waste of my time can’t be bothered.

Web site — Grey is peaceful/calm and doesn’t cause any adverse problems if reading whilst hypo ing. As said before “Less is More” Do you really want to attract “other”pancreatically challenged people ????

Anonymous
      Inactive

I joined after reading Tim and Alison’s post in the Abbott mag. Thank god I did didn’t like DUK some pretty scary opinionated people, far too serious! Having just joined I find Twitter a waste of my time can’t be bothered.

Web site — Grey is peaceful/calm and doesn’t cause any adverse problems if reading whilst hypo ing. As said before “Less is More” Do you really want to attract “other”pancreatically challenged people ????

Tim
      Keymaster

@seasiderdave – Our favourite Pole? I’ll have to Czech…

Tim
      Keymaster

@seasiderdave – Our favourite Pole? I’ll have to Czech…

Tim
      Keymaster

@mustard – we do have to attract new people. The only reason we still maintain the site is that it massages our huge egos every time we post an article that then gets more than two comments

Tim
      Keymaster

@mustard – we do have to attract new people. The only reason we still maintain the site is that it massages our huge egos every time we post an article that then gets more than two comments

Tim
      Keymaster

Maybe we need recipes – I’ve been working on a new recipes section here: http://betes.co.uk/recipes

Tim
      Keymaster

Maybe we need recipes – I’ve been working on a new recipes section here: http://betes.co.uk/recipes

lizz
      Participant

Recipe for success:

1 cup – Contentious articles

5 cups – Funny articles

4 cups – Pertinent gripes (aired)

Sprinkle of Witty comments

Beat the above over the head of anyone who will listen. Drape with a naked man and a naked woman and post on the internet, advertise everywhere people go to eat interesting stuff.

lizz
      Participant

Recipe for success:

1 cup – Contentious articles

5 cups – Funny articles

4 cups – Pertinent gripes (aired)

Sprinkle of Witty comments

Beat the above over the head of anyone who will listen. Drape with a naked man and a naked woman and post on the internet, advertise everywhere people go to eat interesting stuff.

Alison
      Keymaster

Re Balance being the key to getting millions of people onto ShootUp – we’ve been mentioned in it twice and the impact has been barely noticable.

Perhaps Lizz’s naked man and woman are the answer. Any volunteers?

Alison
      Keymaster

Re Balance being the key to getting millions of people onto ShootUp – we’ve been mentioned in it twice and the impact has been barely noticable.

Perhaps Lizz’s naked man and woman are the answer. Any volunteers?

Dave
      Participant

Poll question:
      When do we expect there to be a fully closed CGM/Pump loop that can intelligently handle BG movements?
      1 yr
      5 yr
      10 yr (the cure is always ten years away)
      never
      it doesn’t matter when as NICE won’t approve it for funding

Dave
      Participant

Poll question:
      When do we expect there to be a fully closed CGM/Pump loop that can intelligently handle BG movements?
      1 yr
      5 yr
      10 yr (the cure is always ten years away)
      never
      it doesn’t matter when as NICE won’t approve it for funding

Tim
      Keymaster
      Tim
      Keymaster
      Dave
      Participant

Arse! I’ll get my thinking cap back out of the wardrobe.

Dave
      Participant

Arse! I’ll get my thinking cap back out of the wardrobe.

Peter Childs
      Participant

I’m always shocked by the number of Diabetics who have never heard of Diabetes UK. So I don’t expect a website to be any different.

When I did Dafnee admittedly near 5 years ago now, of the 20ish people doing it, 50% had never heard of DUK and only 2 where actually members (and I’m only a member because my Mum and Dad made me a life member as a child)

The Issue I suspect is that in the UK most people don’t do there own research on there health, and blindly trust there doctor. Let alone get involved and discuss it.

Its all part of the same issue.

Peter Childs
      Participant

I’m always shocked by the number of Diabetics who have never heard of Diabetes UK. So I don’t expect a website to be any different.

When I did Dafnee admittedly near 5 years ago now, of the 20ish people doing it, 50% had never heard of DUK and only 2 where actually members (and I’m only a member because my Mum and Dad made me a life member as a child)

The Issue I suspect is that in the UK most people don’t do there own research on there health, and blindly trust there doctor. Let alone get involved and discuss it.

Its all part of the same issue.

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.