Heatwave !

Home Forums Living with type one Heatwave !

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Is anyone else noticing a hypo increase lately as the temp rises? It could also be due to a lack of self care as the recent football / beer frenzy (that hopefully wont come to a penalty driven end this sunday !) takes its toll !!

I have had to reduce my Basal quite a bit over the last few days and whilst not being overactive can only blame the current spell of fantastic weather…. strange but I have been hypo on and off all day ? Hey maybe i’m cured, throw that pump away !!!

Am I alone on this one ?

Anonymous
      Inactive

The heat does make a difference.. It’s pretty warm now here and has been for the last 7/8 weeks but even now the temperature change still catches me out a little. :)

Annette A
      Participant

I always go hypo more when its hot. It seems to be less pronounced now I’ve got the pump (this is hte first hot spell since I got it) but its definitely kicking in today!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I was just making a cake in the kitchen and it got stupidly hot in there and I ended up having a hypo. Then again I probably had to much insulin for my dinner but you never know. (the cake was worth it btw!)

Tim
      Keymaster

Is this thread designed to rub in the fact that I live in Scotland?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Nope I’ve been dipping quite a bit recently too (though as you say, tricky to know exactly which of the 150 factors is actually is).

I’ve had to drop my night-time basal by about 35% in order not to wake up in the mid-3’s (which is very annoying as I’d only just got it sorted).

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yep its great !went out for meal and had pudding(that naughty little pud devil) got home to bolus for it and about to drop into a hypo so got to have juice too yay

Anonymous
      Inactive

Talking of the heat, those who still use prefilled insulin pens might like to try investing in the FRIO range of pouches for carrying around insulin. It’s amazing how high temperatures can reach in “man bags”, wife’s handbag, rucksack and other paraphernalia receptacles and insulin gets compromised above 25 degrees! (Oh, and I hate cats!!!)

Anonymous
      Inactive

have a frio but not used it yet and how can you hate cats !!!!

Tim
      Keymaster

@onetypedoesnotfitall – yup, Frio bags are pretty cool (excuse the weak pun). I’ve had one for a few years – however the cover has gone a bit mouldy. Though I suspect that’s more my fault than Frio’s

@onetypedoesnotfitall @bumble – if we’re going to have a schism on the forums (and we will have one sooner or later!) can we make about something traditional – say the usual Type One / Type Two antithesis – rather than about cats of all things? ;-)

Annette A
      Participant

Now @Tim. Why on earth would anyone who is affiliated to this wonderful little group of excellent pancreatically challenged personnel want to do anything traditional? (I hate cats cos they dig up my garden but am quite happy for people to have house cats, as they do no harm to anything – a middle of the road view, perhaps?)

Anonymous
      Inactive

I don’t need a thermometer to tell me it’s hot – just a quick look i n the landry bin to see how many t shirts/nighties I’ve put in that day (or more likely night, I don’t do mornings lol)
      Heat definitely makes me hypo – but on the plus side my cat will come and give me a cuddle (or maybe she’s just after some chicken for her bowl?)
      Still, there’s always a bottle of Lucozade in the fridge – actually there isn’t, there’s a Tesco own brand thing which tastes the same (ghastly), looks the same (rather like a gone off sample the doctor should have been given) and costs 72p rather than one pound 89.
      Or on a more enjoyable note, there’s a catering size box of After Eights on the coffee table ……. now, when’s me next hypo ?!

Tim
      Keymaster

@annette – cats smell, that’s why I don’t like them.

Tim
      Keymaster

@ladyupnorth – I know I’m too young to complain about packaging, but do you think it’s really difficult to get the tops off Tesco own brand lucozade? I went back to proper full fat Lucozade after a while – hang the expense, damnit!

Annette A
      Participant

@Tim – I have a nifty little gadget from Lakeland that makes it really easy to get all those plastic screw tops off. Works a treat!

Tim
      Keymaster

@annette – it’s not the turning that’s the problem, it’s difficult to get the top bit of the lid away from the bottom bit that stays on the bottle – the seal doesn’t break all that easily. Tut!

Annette A
      Participant

@Tim – this has a (?) flange that you can insert between the cap and the other bit that breaks one or two of the lugs, then it’s easier to pull off. Don’t know if it was designed for that, but it works for me!

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.