Diabetic animals

Home Forums Living with type one Diabetic animals

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Apparently, according to my vet friend, diabetes is rather common in cats; but because of the way they metabolise protein and carbohydrates it can be controlled almost entirely by diet.

What experience do you have with diabetes in the pet world?

Anonymous
      Inactive

None so far buy I’m eternally grateful to Marjorie. However, we are getting a rescue puppy in November I hope no problems there.

Cecile
      Participant

A poodle that lives on the farm that is neighbouring to my sister’s home, receives insulin therapy – which hasn’t been too successful ( @neville, please close your eyes) – it has been blinded by retinopathy and is to be euthanased on Tuesday. I’ve also been told of an insulin-dependent dachshund (prone to lows? while a Great Dane would be troubled by highs?); I’ve tried to test my Staffordshire bull terrier (managed to prick ear, then she scampered away before I could start milking), but to test a dog you need as many limbs as Gregor Samsa…

Anonymous
      Inactive

A sort of related curiosity are birds: normal blood glucose for a bird is 200 to 300 mg/dl (11-17 mmol, if I converted that right). From an engineering perspective, it makes sense that a creature with the high (and sometimes sudden) energy demands of a bird would circulate a richer mixture. Also from an engineering perspective, the whole system is designed to that spec and birds do not suffer any of the debilitating effects that mammals do from such a high blood glucose (sigh).

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Jay – that IS interesting :) I have wondered on a few occasions if different animals had different normal ranges for their blood sugars…

Anonymous
      Inactive

When i worked in the vets on work experience they had a diabetic cat. They told me whenever it started walking into things to rub glucose in its gums. Looking back on it that might not of allways been the right thing to do.

On another note for diabetes in animals it depends on there natural diet, like monkeys can ;

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

As long as they don’t taste any different when they’ve been barbecued, I don’t think it matters… ;)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.