Cycling with a pump

Home Forums Living with type one Cycling with a pump

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim
      Keymaster

What do other cycling / sporty types do with their pump when exercising? I’ve been clipping the pump onto the waistband of my cycling shorts and it’s not very good or elegant. Are there any other solutions I wonder?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ok, I can’t claim to be a cycling or sporty type, but I may be able to help anyway. Have you tried a Spibelt? They are very comfy and designed for runners. This means they don’t move or bounce. You can get one from http://www.spibelt.com/ or support local business by getting one from http://www.funkypumpers.com/ Pump Spibelts are available but the standard ones work just as well, if you don’t mind your tubing coming out the front.

Alison
      Keymaster

Stick it in your bra?

Or if you’re going braless, as I know you do sometimes @Tim, I’d clip it inside my cycling shorts waistband (so the pump sits against my skin rather than on the outside of my shorts, that way it moves less). I’d normally do that round the back so it doesn’t get in the way when you bend over.

Tim
      Keymaster

The Spibelts look good – despite the silly name – do you know how you get the tubing out through the hole? Do you need to poke the infusion end through?

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ve switched to using a spibelt as my permanent pump holder, its comfortable, convenient & hidden.

Inside the zipped pouch is a ‘button hole’ (slit which has been sewed/hemed) & is just the right size for the bit on the end of the tubing that plugs into the site to fit through.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ps. Wasn’t there an interview with a diabetic pro-cycler you did?

Annette A
      Participant

I put mine in a hard camera case in case i fall off onto it. I then put that onto an elastic belt that i wear under my top to keep it from getting caught in anything.

Tim
      Keymaster

@furrypaul – we did indeed do an interview with a pro-cyclist, but he didn’t reveal where he kept his pump. Maybe he’s not diabetic after all! #Monday’s conspiracy theory

Ah – the button hole solution sounds ideal.

Tim
      Keymaster

@annette – I suppose a hard case and spibelt would be just the job for when I fall off again. I’ve already written off one helmet!

Tim
      Keymaster

I’ve finally got around to ordering (and receiving) the diabetic Spibelts from Funky Pumpers. I haven’t tried it while on the bike yet, but it looks, as they say in Scotland, the very dab.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Did you do the same as me??

Open package
      … Swear
      … “There was no size option, that’s too small to fit a pump”
      … Try it, discover it fits
      … Wonder how it fits

Dave
      Participant

Veeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyy late to this but….

+1 for the Spibelt. I hope my retrospective recommendation is helpful. :)

How’s the cycling going? Hope the snowy weather provided a big enough challenge for you.

Tim
      Keymaster

@furrypaul – I did exactly that – it’s a great bit of design!

Tim
      Keymaster

@seasiderdave – cycling is going well, though it’s a bit bloody cold at the minute. I go out with two pairs of gloves, two pair of socks and neoprene overshoes to try and keep extremities warm. The Pentlands are frozen at the minute, which makes cycling over ice fun. I’ve already fallen off twice and written-off one helmet! :-)

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.