Advent calendars

Home Forums Advent calendars

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

When did advent calendars become a box of chocolates?

They used to be diabetic friendly items offering a festive picture of carbohydrate free wise men on camels or a sugar free robin on a holly tree. You didn’t have to bolus for opening a window. Now its all changed

On Saturday a chocolate angel had absolutely no impact on my cgm yet the chocolate train engine yesterday caused a rapid rise and the need for a bolus. With 20 windows to go I’m hoping for a lot more angels and very few train engines.

Tim
      Keymaster

I’ve actually quite enjoyed my advent calender this year – it’s a Divine chocolate one and said chocolate tastes rather good, whic is perhaps a first for advent calender chocolate!

Alison
      Keymaster

For me, advent calendars became chocolate when I was about 18. Before then I always had the rather dull, picture only ;

Anonymous
      Inactive

A chocolate train whatever next? Surely holly/shepherds/ox/candles or bells are more appropriate. Since when has a train been chrismassy? I blame that Polar Express! Bah Humbug.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I didn’t think adults had Advent calendars!!! I’ve never had one since I was about 10!

Tim
      Keymaster

We get an advent calender from @Katie‘s folks every year. We quite often forget to open it every day, so have a massive chocolate glut every five days or so.

Dave
      Participant

@tim “massive chocolate glut” how big is this advent calendar? I try and sneak one of the kids if they forget but it’s barely big enough to taste unfortunately.

Tim
      Keymaster

Okay – perhaps “massive chocolate glut” was a bit of an exaggeration!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I surely can’t be the only person for whom 4g (max) of chocolate in the morning has absolutely no effect? I can’t even be bothered to enter the extra 4g into my pump.
      Then again, Christmas always brings out my rebellious side :D

Anonymous
      Inactive

@martynp No effect!!! The NICE guidelines team have a sense of humour towards accurate Carb Counting like the Her Majestys Revenue & Customs have toward Tax fraud!

I don’t think megs wasn’t referring to boluses but the use of a continuous glucose monitor which give a useful indication for rate of change of blood sugar but a wild stab in the dark at a correct value from what I understand, whilst setting off a ;

Tim
      Keymaster

@furrypaul – your comment comparing NICE to HMRC genuinely made me laugh out loud!

Tim
      Keymaster

@martynp – I wouldn’t both bolusing for an advent calender chocolate either. However a five day catch-up (or fabled “massive chocolate glut”) might need a unit or two.

Mmmmmm chocolate….:-)~~

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yes… mmm indeed.
      I might have to go and raid the tree for those tree chocolates… I feel less guilty eating those because I think I must burn at least 1/9th of a calorie in frustration searching for them… :P

Alison
      Keymaster

Advent calendar news…while my first 2 weeks worth of chocolates didn’t require a bolus, I’ve just discovered that as we get nearer to Christmas my chocolates get bigger. I am disproportionately pleased about this, even if it does mean I need to start bolusing for them.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Although my chocolates are not getting bigger the nearer to Christmas we get I have noticed a theme. The only chocolate shapes requiring a small bolus have been modes of transport. A train engine, a sleigh and today a camel. Hmmm

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.