Strips anyone?

Home Forums Living with type one Strips anyone?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I was wondering if anyone else hereabouts uses a One Touch Ultra meter. I lost mine last week & have over 200 strips I can no longer use. My lovely DSN provided me with a shiny new Contour Link, which necessitated a trip to see the nice pharmacist to secure an emergency supply of the new strips. When I asked him if I could return the old strips, he told me that they would just bin them. Seems like an awful waste considering they are still sealed in their box & cost the dear old NHS at least £20 a pop…

So free to a good, or at least usable, home 200+ strips. I will cover the post within the UK.

Tim
      Keymaster

Arrrgh! The Contour Link is the worst meter in the world! (In my humble opinion!) Rather than being a meter it seems to be a random number generator. I’ve tested and got a result of 28, tested again one minute later and got 6.5 – the most inaccurate meter I’ve ever used.

But don’t let me put you off ;-)

Anonymous
      Inactive

@tim I’ve only been using it a few days & it is already beginning to irritate. That said, 28 to 6.5 in minutes is not totally outside the bounds of probability for me.. ;-)

Tim
      Keymaster

Blood glucose graph looks like a profile of the Swiss Alps, eh? That’ll be fun ;-)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Alps? That’s a good day. It’s more like the Rockies or even the Himalayas…

Anonymous
      Inactive

I rock a pink One Touch. But I live in Ireland, so maybe there’ll be someone in the UK which would be better. Also, I think One Touch will send you a free meter if you ring them, they did for me (from England) so that I have an extra one for my car.

lizz
      Participant

Actually, if you do a lot of tests (sounds like you do) then practically any meter company will send you a free meter.

At the moment I have the Bayer contour USB, the Accuchek mobile and an Accu-chek aviva.

The accu-chek aviva has been reliable and gives good results quickly. It has a clear face and can be seen in sunlight. But not the dark.

The Accu-chek mobile is a meter and lancet device in one – the strips are put in a drum inside the meter, so all you have to do is pick up one device. It is bulky and ugly and heavy and I stopped using it. However the lancet device I removed and use it as it is the best finger pricker I’ve ever had, quite gentle.

The Bayer Contour is a disaster. I thought it was brill at first… but when I took it out I realised it is unreadable in even moderate light. It’s awkward to use – long and thin and the test strip goes in one end – but then you have to turn it upside down to read the reading. It does light up at night – but I only do one est in the actual night which requires putting the bedside lamp on… having a meter readable by day outside is much more needed by me.

lizz
      Participant

Sorry about awkward phrasing in that last comment. But it is bedtime.

Tim
      Keymaster

Hmm, if only there were some sort of website with meter reviews on it…

About our reviews

Anonymous
      Inactive

Similar to lizz, always used accu-check & have got meters from them for free because they don’t like supporting the older ones.

Top tip, always make a note when meters come out, call customer service & give them one which hasn’t been on the website for years.

Top tip #2 it seems manufacturers treat I test x times a day the same way as doctors treat I smoke x cigs a day, better to over estimate.

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

Sorry everyone, and our Beloved Leader @Tim in particular, any meter that isn’t an Accu-Chek Mobile is total rubbish! 😆 @Lizz, it’s OK, I forgive you! :P

Ella

is it too late to ask for the strips? do you want cash as i have 1 touch ultra.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@olddiabetic Of course not! If you message me your address, I will get them in the post to you

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.