Shoot Up feedback

Home Forums Living with type one Shoot Up feedback

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim
      Keymaster

Alison and I will shortly be having our six monthly review of Shoot Up and what we’re going to do with the site in the next six months (We do actually do this, you know. Really.) So do give us your feedback here on what you like about the site (e.g. generally good spelling on the forums), what you don’t like about it (e.g. too many dull articles that mention fin rot), what you would like to see more of (e.g. video blogs) and what you would like to see less of (e.g. diabetic limericks). You can also use this opportunity to have a good bitch about your favourite diabetes web site.

lizz
      Participant

Well I’m new and I think it’s great. I like a bit of diabetes to go with my humour. Or is it the other way round?

I’d like to see more people here… trouble is I don’t know any other diabetics to prod into participating!

I think you’re all doing very well. *Calls lift*

Tim
      Keymaster

Thanks Lizz! I would like to see more people here too – that’s why we always look at making the site better. Better site = more people = more larks!

On another point – we don’t tend to integrate with the “awesome diabetes online community” (as our American friends sometimes refer to it) and so don’t take part in memes, campaigns and other jazz that spread like wildfire through the diabetes community. Is this is a Good Thing or a Bad Thing? It does mean we never get put forward for any of those blogging awards either :-D

Tim
      Keymaster

Ooh, ooh and another point – we do actually have more readers than it appears. Quite a lot of people read the blog but never comment. I know at least three people (you know who you are!!) who come along to meet ups in Edinburgh who are opinionated, witty and interesting (generally speaking) who never, ever comment – despite my threats / pleadings!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I don’t think the majority would understand the humour and piss taking involved. I mean that with the greatest of respect to any reader who may be offended.

It’s just a great way to get good info to one another and to support each other wit and banter.

(Not really, it’s just so that the legal eagles @tim and @alison stay of my case).

lizz
      Participant

I have to say it does have a different ‘feel’ to other sites/blogs. More intimate. More fun. GREAT to be without any ‘awesomeness’. Yuk.

Tim
      Keymaster

@lizz – we also try to keep moaning and griping to a minimum – positivity is the way forward. Possibly.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@lizz please ignore @tim he is paid to moan, groan and gripe, so he is a dab hand at it now.. Although in his defense it is mildly amusing at times but shhhhh, don’t tell him that mind ;)

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

What @lizz said! ;)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yeah, I think @lizz summed it up nicely. I DO know another diabetic, but he isn’t a very internet forum kinda bloke, although I believe he did at least initially like/join the facebook page… He may even be a lurker!

though I’m not entirely convinced by more people – I struggle to keep up with the site as is ;) But that’s largely cause I’m lazy… :P On that subject – if there is ever a big increase in the numbers, I think a different forum set-up (or at least re-training for me!) would be beneficial, as I struggle with the large numbers of ‘new activity’ posts. Sorting it by ‘this thread has had activity’ rather than ‘look at all theses hundreds of individual posts!’ would be cool…

But largely, I love it here, is perfect to cheer me up when the diabetaids is getting me down :)

Tim
      Keymaster

@rohan – you can do the forums by activity. Click to http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/forums/ and then all the threads should be ranked by “freshness”. There’s a drop down where you can then change it to sort by “most posts” or “not replied”.

TBH, if the forums did go wild then I would toy with moving it to new software. I’m currently using the Buddypress add on for WordPress and I think it’s okay – but not marvellous. The only bit I like really is the “Activity” stream which nicely combines both the blog and forums in one place. But, yes, if people are chatting away it can be a bit full on! :-)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oooh, thanks @Tim – oncer I find one way of using a website I usually don’t bother looking for another ;) Also, I do like the activity stream, just find it WAAAYY too busy some days when people are having a good natter… Or if I’ve not been on fora few days. Who knows what’ll happen if the two events ever combine! D: We’ll probably see next week end, as I’m off to the lakes for a team building week (complete with lake jumping, which they will break the ice for if necessary!) this week… WOOOO!

lizz
      Participant

Is it possible when logging in to a discussion to go to the last page where the latest comment is rather than the first page…

Tim
      Keymaster

Nope – but there’s a shortcut at the top right of the first page of the discussion which take you there – that’s what I use.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.