Infusion sites???

Home Forums Infusion sites???

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Alison
      Keymaster

@spikeymikie asks :

After a recent consultant appointment I have been asked to move round to the side of my stomach / hips area as after many years of attacking two to three inches around the bullseye they said I have lumpy areas. Ok fair enough I noticed these lumpy areas much more before I went on an insulin pump two and a half months ago and now thought that it was going away as my stomach was returning to flabby all round consistency! Anyway that leads me to my new problem, as soon as I moved it round to the sides I have experienced some severe hypos where I have not detected it until 1.7, 1.6 and 1.4 which is scary as I have always been used to recognising signs around 3.7. I realise that my hypo symptoms are going away as I am experiencing a larger number of hypos and also assume that I need less insulin (or less resistance) in places that have hardly been used! Has anyone else experienced the same problems when using different sites. At the mo I have a hot line to my diabetic nurse making adjustments regularly!!!

Pleas comment with your experiences, thanks…

Tim
      Keymaster

@spikeymikie – yep! I found exactly the same thing when I went on the pump – when I put a canula in my back I went really low. In fact I wrote an article about it here: http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2011/08/the-joys-of-pump-patterns/

lizz
      Participant

Alison, have you tried your legs? That’s where I use and have found them to be very successful, and quite large!

lizz
      Participant

Should just say here before everyone pictures my elephantine lower limbs, they are in fact slim. But there is a big needle area.

Alison
      Keymaster

@lizz @Spikeymikie was actually asking the question, I was just acting as postmistress. But yes, I use my legs a lot and agree with you, lots of space to choose from. I use my buttocks too for similar reasons (no comments about elephantine sized bottoms please).

Tim
      Keymaster

I’ve never used my legs for an infusion set. I start at the left of the belly-button and move round horizontally to the left a few inches each time I change a set. It’s relatively methodical and makes sure my poor flesh gets a good rest as it’s about a month or so before the same spot gets spiked again.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Tried my legs just twice in the 12 weeks I have been pumping and on both occasions it stung like mad, I guess they are far more toned than my jabba belly!

Annette A
      Participant

Every time I’ve used my legs, the site has failed. And when I take it out, it is usually accompanied by gushing blood. So I dont use my legs much…

Tim
      Keymaster

@annette Why? What’s wrong with failed sites and arterial blood-squirting? I think you’re just making a fuss ;-)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Watching this with interest (‘P’ minus 456 hours)… Over the last couple of years I’ve actively used different injection sites as a part of dose adjustment: ‘Oops! stupidly high before this meal… abdomen it is then’ vs ‘Hmmm scraping the edge of hypo better use outer thigh…’ kinda thing.

Will be interested to see how being restricted to one site for 3 days will change things. Actually – who am I trying to kid… I’m gonna have *no* idea what’s going on for the first 6 months ;)

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.