diabetic education programmes

Home Forums diabetic education programmes

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Ella

Hi

can anyone help me. I have been advised to attend a diabetic programme, am in two minds about it. one the one hand better control would be good, on the other hand I don’t want some pumped up DSN telling me what to do. Any practical advice.

Ella

Alison
      Keymaster

Hi Ella

If you think you can go with an open mind and might learn something, surely its worth it? Even if you find it hugely irritating, you might pick up some useful info. And you might be pleasantly surprised, a lot of DSNs are quite well connected to the real world and aren’t too dictatorial. I’ve always learnt something, even if its just that what I’m doing does appear to be the best way of doing it. And if its a group session, its always interesting to hear what other people do.

If you’ve got a couple of things you’d like to get out of it – maybe to better understand carb counting, to learn how to deal with exercise better, to sort out night time hypo issues etc – hopefully, even if the DSN was hugely irritating, you’d still learn something that would be worth your while.

What do you think?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Ella

I agree with Alison, thankfully nowadays the old image of consultants/DSN frowning upon poor control and muttering about how you should be better controlled have gone (unless you know otherwise??) None of us are saints we all have good times and bad. The diab team are there to help us and to give us sound advice if we want it. Obviously, it is up to you at the end of the day. Listening to other diabetics like on this web site is very informative. Thankfully members of SuoPu have a really good sense of humour which helps. We are all learning on a day to day basis with diabetes. Something which is discussed at the session may not apply to you now but may in the future. alternatively your own experiences may help a newby. At least go for the coffee and biscuits is lunch thrown in?

Ella

Thanks guys,

I think I shall give it a go. Meeting new other diabetics has to be a plus dosn’t?

Tim
      Keymaster

I don’t think there’s much better – in terms of diabetes care – than meeting other diabetics. It’s always hugely useful and you can pick up a tonne of tips and little things you’ve never thought of. I would *highly* recommend group sessions and meet ups. Especially Shoot Up ones!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.