Anniversary

Home Forums Living with type one Anniversary

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Do you acknowledge/ ignore/ celebrate/ not remember the date you were diagnosed?

Embarking on the 35th year as my personal chief pancreas controller I felt relieved that I had negotiated another year of hypos, hypers and all points in between. Not so much as a pat on the back from anyone else.

Whilst looking for a wedding anniversary card recently I noticed a glaring gap in the retail market. Should anyone wish to send me a “Congratulations, you’re simply the best at managing your chronic disease” card there is absolutely nothing remotely appropriate out there let alone anniversary themed gifts, diamond encrusted finger prickers or silver test strip holders.

What would you like, if anything, for your anniversary?

Tim
      Keymaster

I don’t really mark my diabetes anniversary. This is for two reasons 1) it was quite traumatic 2) I can’t actually remember when it is – I know it’s sometime in December 2005.

As for cards – I think there’s a huge gap in the market! I’ll get to work on the Shoot Up shop straight away :-)

Alison
      Keymaster

I don’t normally celebrate, but I did decide to celebrate my 25th anniversary because I thought 25 years not out deserved a bit of recognition http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2009/07/happy-belated-d-day/ – there’s some great ideas in the comments for cards.

It’s my 30th anniversary next year, I’ve already started the campaign that I think a diamond ring would be suitable recognition of my diabetic genius. So far success isn’t looking likely!

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Alison I didn’t see those ideas for anniversary gifts and cards, I’m definitely not aiming high enough in the present stakes to reward my diabetic prowess. There really is a dearth of chronic disease merchandise, “Get well soon ” cards are way off the mark unless of course a cure has just been announced.

Alison
      Keymaster

@megs Always aim high, anything less than a diamond is an insult to all the hard work you’ve put in over the years ;)

Anonymous
      Inactive

36 years for me on dec 13th! No it wasn’t a Friday but what an omen. I think I would like a perfect HbA1c at around 5 for the next decade as an anniversary present to myself. (So would my consultant :-0) Can you imagine being sent cards saying “Sorry to hear your basal rates are cra_ ” or “best wishes on recovering from your hypo” or to a just diagnosed diabetic ” Pancreas packed up hope your move to MDI is swift. ”

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.