Travel bags – question from Patrick

Home Forums Living with type one Travel bags – question from Patrick

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Alison
      Keymaster

@paddywak has a question about how to carry his diabetes junk when he goes on holiday:

Hi Folks, just newly joined this forum, I have been type 2 diabetic since 2001 and am on insulin and tablets, I sometimes have poor control of the diabetes as I love my food, I would go on a purge before my next clinic appointment, I am not too much overweight just below 12st I walk a lot every day, eat plenty of fish, but take the binge on rubbish food, I go on holidays frequently usually on all-inclusive, and wanted to know what is the best type of case for carrying my insulin to keep it cool, and where could I get it..Thank you any answers will be greatly appreciated..Best Wishes..Patrick..

Alison
      Keymaster

Welcome to ShootUp @paddywak

Personally I carry all my diabetes junk in a bathroom bag. I’ll no doubt be hunted down and shot for admitting this, but I rarely keep insulin chilled whilst travelling. When I went to the Costa Rican rainforest which was hotter than hell, I wet a flannel and wrapped my insulin in that, inside a sandwich bag, and then re-wet the flannel every day. That seemed to work.

I’ve heard lots of people talk about Frio’s – which are a more sophisticated version of the wet towel approach – http://friouk.com/buy/

What do other people do?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi

I just chuck my stuff in the rucksack pocket – although I do always split what I am taking and put enough for the holiday + a bit in the suitcase, and the same in the rucksack. I don’t waste money on these cool bags as it is not required. The insulin will be fine out of the fridge for about a month and I don’t think you will be travelling for that sort of time.

When I say travelling, I mean the actual physical process of getting to and from your destination. From what you say you are staying at all-inclusive and these days nearly every place I have stayed in has had a small fridge in the room, and if not, they are air conditioned and so I have sometimes just left the stuff in the room safe.

In the past when the room did not have a fridge I always spoke to the reception and they always allowed me to put what ever spare stuff I had in a fridge which they then either allowed me access to or they brought to me. I have not had to do this for many years now.

As at home I just leave the my pen in my room during the day, or if I know it will be a long walk back during the day I keep the pen in the shade, and as above, either in a wet flannel, or next to a large bottle of water – also in the shade. I know DSN’s will cringe with horror and try to strike me down, but it works, is simple, is almost the same as being at home, so no new regime to learn.

If you want to buy, then my advice is go cheap as you probably only think you need it, in practice insulin keeps well enough out of the fridge.

Alison
      Keymaster

@s187942 Looks like you and I will be getting shot together then. Excellent, it’ll be nice to have the company.

I have to say I’ve never put any of my insulin in my suitcase, I always carry it hand luggage in case the aeroplane hold isn’t heated and the insulin freezes. If I’m travelling alone, it all goes in my hand luggage. But it is very handy when the husband comes too, because then he can carry half of it in his bag which is preferable, in case one bag gets lost/stolen.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Folks, many thanks for the response and helpful advice, for a long time I thought that insulin (I use the Novo pen) had to be kept very cool, although I did keep the pen out of the fridge for the duration of the pen which was about a week, I did not have any adverse affects with the pen being in the warmth of a room, but I just needed to know about on holidays as the heat usually is two or three times our UK temperature, I now know thanks to your advice that to ensure the accomodation has either a fridge or air conditioning..Thanks again..Best Wishes..Patrick..

Anonymous
      Inactive

Forgot to thank you for the welcoming to the excellent forum..Patrick..

Anonymous
      Inactive

When I was on mdi I used to do as @Alison & just carry it in a wash bag (plus every bag & coat I owned had ;

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.