Sock Up and Block Up – Hideous photograph included!

Home Forums Living with type one Sock Up and Block Up – Hideous photograph included!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Cecile
      Participant

I’ve always had a problem with socks sporting those narrow bits of ribbing at the top that’s usually so tight that it’s capable of being used as tourniquet on a decapitated chicken. On Thursday, when stripping off such a pair, I was greeted by this lovely chromatic sight (add some puffiness; it had subsided by the time the photo was taken).

Fortunately, here in the Southern Hemisphere summer is shyly approaching: in a few weeks, socks won’t be needed anymore, but for the sake of my future circulation, I’m considering a few pairs marketed as “diabetic” – from lower ankle and upwards they have these parallel ribs (like accordion? stretchy kilt?) that proceed to their end by widening out. Any of you seen them / tried them out?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Poor you! Photo hasn’t been displayed so your leg must be really bad. Can’t say I’ve ever tried diabetic socks but try them out anything is worth a go.

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

That looks extremely worrying @ckoei, blue is not a good colour for feet!

Before I had my heart attack I had considerable oedema in my ankles and lower legs, so bad in fact that I couldn’t get normal shoes on. I have used ‘soft top’ socks, but I found that they didn’t stay up and ended up bunched around my ankle inducing a similar tourniquet effect. In the end, I abandoned socks altogether in favour of wearing Crocs sandals. Even with severe neuropathy I find them wonderfully comfortable, and as they should be worn oversize anyway, they can accommodate a certain amount of swelling. I now rarely wear socks, just occasionally in the deepest darkest winter. Luckily my circulation is still good even if the nerves are shot.

Since I had the stents fitted in the artery in my heart, the oedema has reduced considerably and only becomes noticeable after long periods parked on my more than ample posterior.

Cecile
      Participant

Three days on, blue skies have been replaced by shepherd’s delight (rosy pink)…maybe the extravagant colour could be due to previously diagnosed PPD (Pigmented Purpuric Dermatosis – when tiny veins in your legs become inflamed & leaky, usually associated with Spice Girl “cayenne pepper” spots; when restricted by owl socks, makes your legs sing the blues?). Perhaps I should address my weakness for endearing, creature bedecked socks: goodbye bassets, kangaroos, mosquitoes, ants eating watermelon…all because of those throttling, unwise owls :(

@teloz: Already a reformed Crocophilian – they reform quite easily if you heat them up (I’ve got protruding bits of bone on both port and starboard of my foot). But I still need socks in winter – down south, central heating is nonexistent; maybe I should get those Crocs that look as if they’ve swallowed a sheep (they’re lined with removable fluffy stuff). As far as “soft top” socks go, are these the kind that kept on dipping downward?

Annette A
      Participant

@ckoei – that looks nasty, hope its settling ok!
      I have a problem with socks becasue I’ve got fat ankles (it’s genetic – apparently, the first time my Dad’s mother saw my mother, her comment was ‘Hasn’t she got fat ankles?’ First impressions, hey?) – if the socks fit round my ankles, they are too loose at the top and fall down. If they fit at the top, my ankles feel like I’m wearing compression socks. My answer (when I need to wear long socks in the winter – I tend to wear trainer liners when its not as cold, which dont have to hold up anywhere) is welly boot socks. They are very long and fairly loose fitting, with a section at the top about 3 inches long which is ribbed slightly (but not much) tighter – similar to those you showed, but as the tightness is higher up the leg (designed to roll over the top of a welly boot) where the veins are deeper, they don’t cause as much compression.

Cecile
      Participant

@annette: The blue wildebeest calf is back to its normal piggish pinkness, thank you (and thanks for agricultural sock tip: I’m off to the local farmer’s co-op tomorrow to see if they have something akin to welly socks; trainer liners usually get swallowed whole by my shoes…maybe because they’re Crocs?)

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

@ckoei – Yep! Those are the offending hose! To be honest they start off being quite comfortable, but the gradual descent of the tops allows the heels to bunch under my feet, becoming quite painful when my ravaged nerves manage to catch up with events. What I generally do now is only wear them whilst I’m out on the coldest days in winter, reverting to sheepskin slippers and comfortable socklessness as soon as I return home. One of the few joys of being ‘economically inactive’! :P The trouble with welly socks for me would be that they’re mostly woollen and I can’t wear wool next to my skin, only cotton or polycotton.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.