Meter accuracy

Home Forums Living with type one Meter accuracy

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim
      Keymaster

Blood glucose meters are notoriously innacurate – give us your tales of meter wonkiness woes

Tim
      Keymaster

I think the worst meter (in terms of accuracy) I’ve had is the one I’m using at the minute; the RF version of the Bayer Contour (which I reviewed over here http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2009/06/review-bayer-contour/). Most of the time it’s fine, but the other day I tested my BG and it came out as 26.1. I thought to myself “blimey, I don’t feel 26.1”, so I tested again and Lo! I was actually 7.7. This has happened enough times that I’m beginning not to trust the damned thing.

Stephen
      Participant

I “think” I’ve had a similar one with the same meter this morning. I was ranting in my status about it but decided not to bore you with hour by hour updates :)

32.7 when I woke up, I didn’t even think to distrust it as I did feel rather crap.

Needless to say, narrowly avoided a major hypo before lunch with the aid of an army of kit kats :D

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hmmm. I have never tried re-testing when surprised by a result. I may start to… I was enjoying the thought that my morning BGs are showing an improving trend today, until I got to lunch time and I was at 11.1, instead of the usual near hypo I am used to (part of my problem with fixing the DP).

I think there may have been a couple of other occasions too, as I don’t trust my feelings of being high (I have felt ‘high’ right up until crashing into a hypo before…) so just assume the meter to be right. Also, I was only aware of them not being accurate to within less than 1mmol or something, rather than giving completely false readings!

Cecile
      Participant

The last time I was in hospital (and had a convenient hypo), my AccuChek Active (plasma equivalent) gave a value of 2.4, while the laboratory said 1.something. At home, I’ve used both the AA and 2 Bayers (Contour USB & TS) when low, and when AccuChek says 2.something, the Bayers chime in with 1.somethings – same as laboratory, so at least I’ll trust their baying when I’m low…(oh, as for comparing different meters, make sure they all give plasma equivalents, not whole blood; whole blood’s values are higher than plasma’s)

Tim
      Keymaster

I think a lot of our American blogger friends had a huge stuchie about meter accuracy 6 months or so ago. If you want to while away ten minutes or so, finger prick then test with two or three meters (or indeed two or three times with the same meter) and see what results you get.

lizz
      Participant

Aren’t whole bloods LOWER than plasma readings? You have to take 12.5% off the reading of a plasma machine to understand the value if you are used to whole blood readings.

As a general point, I was told Accu-Check blood testing machines are not accurate at the lower end of the scale, which chimes with what has been said above.

What sort of machine, I mean what is the name of the machine Bayer make?

Tim
      Keymaster

@lizz – Bayer make several – off the top of my head the Contour, Contour USB and Contour radio frequency jobby. I think I’ve reviewed most of the damned things over the last year or so: http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/about-us/about-our-reviews/

Cecile
      Participant

@lizz: Oops! The statement “whole blood’s values are higher than plasma’s” is a bit of hypo-thesis…according to diary, I was hovering somewhere between 3,6 and 2.6 – please lower the higher :D

Anonymous
      Inactive

I bought one in america when i was on holiday cause mine broke not realsing the readings are different. it said 149 i thought it meant 14.9. Still to this day i dont understand the american blood glucose readings.

Tim
      Keymaster

Thank goodness for your soaraway Shoot Up with our handy UK to American glucose converter there on the right of the page! I think you just divide their crazy numbers by 18 – easy enough to do in your head ;-)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ooooh, I just tried that converter for the first time – it updates in real time, how exciting! *plays with it*

Tim
      Keymaster

Good isn’t it? I spent all of about 10 minutes adapting it from a Celsius to Fahrenheit converter

Anonymous
      Inactive

And on the subject of whole blood vs plasma… Since they are significantly different (upwards of 10% is not to be sniffed at) I have always wondered why we didn’t get revised BG target ranges following the switch to plasma strips. Not that my clinic have ever really suggested a target range, I’ve always just used the bog-standard DUK type ones.

Not that it makes much difference I suppose, but I’d like to know exactly how massively out of range my readings are, and at the moment I’m unsure as to whether they are only fairly rubbish or of the properly toe-rotting ;

lizz
      Participant

I agree Mike. Makes the whole thing a farce.

On a good note, i mailed the Bayer Contour USB people and they said they can’t give them away free. So I tried my wonderful nurse and she had a voucher, so I’m going to try that one as I will be able to download to my mac and look at trends.

Tim
      Keymaster

@lizz – just set up a web site like Shoot Up and then email to say you want to review it. Then you’ll get a free one. Saying that, it’s quite a lot of effort to go to to get a £15 meter.

lizz
      Participant

Well, on the site they are 24.99. OH has no work at the mo so I was determined to get one free! Having said that he did just get two and a half weeks today… but one is on the way hopefully.

lizz
      Participant

Well my USB meter arrived this morning. Brand new meter, which reads WHOLE BLOOD!

It does have drawbacks though. You have to leave it in a new temperature for half an hour before doing a test! So on the way to a hospital appointment for example, I wouldn’t be able to do one in the car. Or after getting in the car having been going round the shops. Or on getting out of the car, walking a little way and thinking, hang on, I feel a bit tired, am I high or low… I wouldn’t be able to test to find out. Major problem this, for me.

I’m getting more and more angry with Accu-chek. I think the plasma reading has contributed to my extra problems with blood sugar control since they changed over. As I read the product insert, I naively assumed (since it said, don’t worry, your machine can read the plasma strips) that it was also converting the reading to one I understood.

If not, why on earth have we not been given a conversion chart automatically?

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.