Interview with Fabio Calabria – top professional cyclist

Home Forums Living with type one Interview with Fabio Calabria – top professional cyclist

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim
      Keymaster

Fabio Calabria is Australian. He’s also a massively talented professional cyclist and top athlete. He’s won the King of the Mountains Classification in the De Bortoli Tour and the New Zealand Road Championships in addition to a whole range of high-profile competitions.

He also has type one diabetes and is a member of Team Type 1 Men Professional Cycling squad.

Team Type 1 are great. They aim to instil hope and inspiration for people around the world affected by diabetes and they believe that with appropriate diet, exercise, treatment and technology, anyone with diabetes can achieve their dreams. This sort of stuff gets a big thumbs up from Shoot Up!

Team Type 1 are aiming high with the aim of competing in the Giro d’Italia and Tour de France in the next few years – competitions which even non-cycling fans will have heard of.

Fabio has agreed to take time out from his busy racing schedule to give an interview to Shoot Up. So in time-honoured tradition, here’s your chance to put your questions to Fabio. Add them in the thread below and I will pick the best ones to ask.

More about Fabio: http://www.teamtype1.org/teams/team_type1_men/fabio_calabria/
      More about Team Type 1: http://www.teamtype1.org/about/

Tim
      Keymaster

In my view (and I might be biased here as I love cycling) professional cycling is the hardest endurance sport out there. Just how on earth do you manage to do it professionally with diabetes?

Tim
      Keymaster

In my view (and I might be biased here as I love cycling) professional cycling is the hardest endurance sport out there. Just how on earth do you manage to do it professionally with diabetes?

Tim
      Keymaster

Is Team Type 1 going to compete in a mega race like the Giro or Tour de France sometime soon? If so, what are the prospects of having a type one stage winner?

Tim
      Keymaster

Is Team Type 1 going to compete in a mega race like the Giro or Tour de France sometime soon? If so, what are the prospects of having a type one stage winner?

Tim
      Keymaster

Does having diabetes and therefore having to look after your diet, health and fitness very, very carefully actually give you an advantage over non-diabetic competitors?

Tim
      Keymaster

Does having diabetes and therefore having to look after your diet, health and fitness very, very carefully actually give you an advantage over non-diabetic competitors?

Alison
      Keymaster

Team Type 1 has people from all over the world in it – do see any noticable differences in how people from different countries tackle the diabetes and sport challenge?

Alison
      Keymaster

Team Type 1 has people from all over the world in it – do see any noticable differences in how people from different countries tackle the diabetes and sport challenge?

Alison
      Keymaster

Are the team as competitive about their diabetes results as they are about their cycling times?

Alison
      Keymaster

Are the team as competitive about their diabetes results as they are about their cycling times?

Alison
      Keymaster

Do you find you have better diabetes control when you’re training or when you’re racing?

Alison
      Keymaster

Do you find you have better diabetes control when you’re training or when you’re racing?

Dave
      Participant

Do you use CGM or test on the fly?

Do you find that strategies for handling carbs and insulin rates change randomly and frequently and if so is this frustrating?

Dave
      Participant

Do you use CGM or test on the fly?

Do you find that strategies for handling carbs and insulin rates change randomly and frequently and if so is this frustrating?

Annette A
      Participant

Are you going to change ‘Strive for 6.5’? (As we now use 48 in the UK)

Annette A
      Participant

Are you going to change ‘Strive for 6.5’? (As we now use 48 in the UK)

Annette A
      Participant

Do team members have widely differing stategies with regards to basals and food before a race, or is it all small ;

Annette A
      Participant

Do team members have widely differing stategies with regards to basals and food before a race, or is it all small ;

Annette A
      Participant

(Sorry, techie questions) What type of bike do you ride in races? Do you mountain bike or just road race? Do you attach CGM to your handlebars (if you CGM that is)?

Annette A
      Participant

(Sorry, techie questions) What type of bike do you ride in races? Do you mountain bike or just road race? Do you attach CGM to your handlebars (if you CGM that is)?

Anonymous
      Inactive

What is your favourite snack to keep your levels up? (Personally, i’m getting tired of the granola bar, so looking for some suggestions)

Does the team car receive all the details from your CGM?

Do all T1s on the team use the same equipment (pump, CGM, …) and do you exchange reviews on your “gadgets”?

Anonymous
      Inactive

What is your favourite snack to keep your levels up? (Personally, i’m getting tired of the granola bar, so looking for some suggestions)

Does the team car receive all the details from your CGM?

Do all T1s on the team use the same equipment (pump, CGM, …) and do you exchange reviews on your “gadgets”?

Tim
      Keymaster

Thanks for the questions. I’ve also got a whole bunch via email (some people are simply too shy to sign up for an account …) and so I will compile them and put them to Fabio.

Tim
      Keymaster

Thanks for the questions. I’ve also got a whole bunch via email (some people are simply too shy to sign up for an account …) and so I will compile them and put them to Fabio.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.