Epic set failures

Home Forums Living with type one Epic set failures

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim
      Keymaster

Pumpers of the world! Tell us about your epic set failures; this from Stephen who posted this as an profile update:

Nearly a month on the pump and had my first epic infusion set failure! Did my lunch time bolus and my colleague sat next to me asked if it was supposed to be doing that …… rather large wet patch on my abdomen! Not too much of a hassle though, came home and changed it (as it needed replacing tonight so just doing the set wouldn’t of helped) – but I might give some thought to carrying ”all” my kit (Infusion Set, Reservoir, Insulin Vial) with me in future …..

Tim
      Keymaster

This’ll be an anathema to @Alison – but I do carry a spare infusion set, etc., with me. I keep it in a separate pencil case from my BG meter and the stuff I sue all the time and I just dump it in the bottom of whichever manbag I’m currently using.

It was really useful the other day when I had to change my set at work – I just got out the spare set and away I went. I also have a small stockpile of sets in my desk at work.

Stephen
      Participant

I’m going to be bolusing all afternoon to fix it though! At least now I’m prepared for the world / climbing Everest …

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=425883&l=74fd2c1a32&id=100000695531589

Bootnote : Two hours after incident, 27.3! My day was going so well up till that point :(

Annette A
      Participant

Well I dont carry the insulin vial (seems a waste, as I so rarely have to use it, to have to throw it out after 4 weeks), but I carry a spare set at all times (like @tim – I have an emergency kit in a purse with glucose etc that moves from one bag to another). And like @tim, was quite glad a couple of weeks ago, when a set didnt ‘take’. After 4 hours, BG 13.0 (I obviously climb much slower than @stephen !). Got out the spare set, stuck it in, moved over tubing. No probs. Problem came when I took the old one out and the reason for it not taking became obvious, as copious amounts of blood spurted everywhere (must have stuck it in too near artery/capilliary/whatever). Luckily I’d gone into the Ladies to change it, or there would be stains all over the carpet…

Stephen
      Participant

@annette in my defence of rapid rises, I effectively had 110 grams of carbs and NO insulin – I had to wait to see if I had absorbed any before I felt safe giving myself more. Numbers get too complicated using guesswork :)

The vial in my kit is my “live” vial, next time I need to change set I’ll use that one. 6 days time and I’ll have used the last of it so I’ll put a new vial in :)

Alison
      Keymaster

I think a set failure really brings it home quite how knackered your pancreas is. On MDI if you forget to inject for a meal you’ve still got long acting insulin in so you rise, but its nowhere near as meteoric as when you have no insulin going in on a pump. That’s when you remember quite how important the insulin is!

If I’m just out for the day, I muddle through with a syringe rather than carry all the other junk, but that of course can lead to interesting days like this – http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2009/08/one-of-those-days/

Annette A
      Participant

110 grams? Wow. That’s a day’s food for me (and hence, at least 5 or 6 bg tests, so it would be easier for me to pick it up, I guess.) Which probably helps :-)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yes epic failures and I would like to know how it does it.
      I’ve had several plastic cannula bits which are supposed to be inside of me but aren’t when I take the needle. They are bent at 45 deg? How it managed that I don’t know. Wet patches yes but as my intake general is only 3-4 units it doesn’t emerge on my clothes until I have the raging thirst and need of the loo at 25mmol. Oh the joys of not having a functioning pancreas.

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

I’d got mine on the dining room table. I’d opened the leaves so I could extend the track, it was great! Unfortunately I got a bit overconfident and hit the top corner too fast, the whole lot flew off the track, off the table, and smashed onto the floor, breaking the engine and bending up all the carriages. I was not a happy bunny!

Whaddaya mean wrong type of set? ;)

Annette A
      Participant

Roflmao :-)

Cecile
      Participant

You’ve all been experiencing failures because you’re not as well-trained as @teloz …hope Hogfather brings you a new one :D

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.