Balance magazine

Home Forums Living with type one Balance magazine

Tagged: 

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim
      Keymaster

Fans of Diabetes UK will have just received their copy of the new look Balance magazine. Can anyone identify the font used for the title? It looks like it should be a sans serif font, but it actually has quite prominent serifs – curious really.

Stephen
      Participant

Photo?

Tim
      Keymaster

Hell, you’re demanding ;-)

I don’t have a handy photo here and DUK don’t have the new look magazine on their website (http://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help/Magazines/Balance/) so…uhm…

Cecile
      Participant

According to WhatTheFont, the old look is one of 2 Transits, 2 Frutigers or a Humanist (kind old thing!). Scan your magazine and feed it to WTF ?

lizz
      Participant

Oooh, it’s LUVVERLY.

lizz
      Participant

Looks quite like Amasis.

lizz
      Participant

Also quite similar to cambria

Tim
      Keymaster

I think it’s spikier than both Amasis & Cambria. I’ll have to do the WTF thing.

Anonymous
      Inactive

*feels lost and confused*

lizz
      Participant

It is, I’ve been looking closely at it in a nerdy way. I’d love to know, it’s very elegant.

Tim
      Keymaster

Personally I think the serifs are a bit too long and the spacing between letters is a bit inconsistent. But, overall I like the new look.

I think my favourite bit of the magazine is the letters page – where people bitch about it being too focussed on type 1 one week and then too much on type 2 the next week. Also if they publish an inspiring article about someone with diabetes climbing a mountain or something, they get a flurry of letters saying “diabetes isn’t all fun and games, you know!” and if they have an article about feet rotting off they get letters about “how dare you be so pessimistic!” Sometimes I feel sorry for DUK, they just can’t win sometimes.

Alison
      Keymaster

@neobrainless I’m with you!

Anonymous
      Inactive

New look balance is much improved (especially the lower-case b how very ‘modern’). The version before last wasn’t too bad, but the look that’s just been changed was eye-searingly awful.

Cross that they didn’t mention my carb counting rant, even though they said they were going to. At least there are a few other references to the concept that carb counting/DAFNE etc might be worth thinking about, probably, maybe telling one or two folks rather than just leaving them completely floundering in the dark.

lizz
      Participant

I look at the letters page first always, it’s my fave too. I am much happier that nowadays they at least let letters in about animal insulin – I wrote so many, over so many years, and they were always ignored.

I’ve always thought not carb counting to be MADNESS. I was diagnosed 40 years ago, by my GP, who gave me a calorie diet by mistake and no help whatsoever, but a few years later after innumerable hypos at night at least I was given a ‘line’ diet by my next Dr.

I simply cannot understand how diabetics are supposed to match their insulin requirements against the food they eat and get it right unless they know how much carbohydrate there is in everything. Its always struck me rather like that fashion for not teaching children how to spell.
      Except that it’s taken a lot longer for them to come to their senses and even now they don’t teach anyone!

Of course there were things wrong with the old ‘line’ or ‘exchange’ diet. For example they thought diabetics were too simple to work it unless they made ALL food into 10g portions. that meant a piece of bread was 10g, so was an apple. Which meant a person very sensitive to food and insulin rations was at a big disadvantage, not realising until I got my pump that actually a small piece of bread is more like 15g and an apple can be 22g.

Perhaps we could have a dedicated rant page here Tim? With roars and claps and fire and scream icons?

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

I used to subscribe to DUK, but I gave up when they started taking me for granted. I hated it when they started sending me raffle tickets to sell, the first couple of times I ended up buying them all myself, but in the end they went straight into the recycling bin and I ended my subscription. Too much like bullying to my mind!

Tim
      Keymaster

@lizz – I couldn’t agree with you more. As I was diagnosed only five years ago and go to a relatively enlightened clinic I was trained up on carb counting from the very beginning and don’t know any different. But quite how people can live with diabetes without carb counting is completely beyond me.

Tim
      Keymaster

@teloz – I just shake out all the crap from Balance (sorry, balance) into the recycling bin. I’m not much into raising money for diabetes charities as I’m jist not entirely convinced they won’t piss my money up the wall.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The masthead is Frutiger Serif – the whole magazine is set in a mix of Frutiger Serif and Sans.

Tim
      Keymaster

@eustonian – thanks John! You sound like you have inside knowledge!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Guilty as charged – I work in the publications team at Diabetes UK. Glad the overall response to the new look seems positive (despite the curiously oversized serifs)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ooooooh I do like a spot of Frutiger

Hadn’t come across Frutiger serif. Good job on the redesigned version John :)

Tim
      Keymaster

For those that care, Frutiger was originally designed as a sans-serif font and the serifs were added later. That’s why it looks odd – in my view ;-)

Anonymous
      Inactive

I found myself wondering whether Adrian (Mr Frutiger to you) had anything to do with it… Turns out he did. Which is nice. Full typogeekery here:
      http://www.linotype.com/5368/adrianfrutigersnewesttypefacefrutigerserif.html

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.