About the blog

Home Forums Living with type one About the blog

Viewing 157 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim
      Keymaster

Just a little thread to keep you updated with any developments of the slightest interest re: the blog.

Tim
      Keymaster

The front page now has an “Articles from the archive” section, which gives you three random articles from our back-catalogue of 240-odd articles. Commenting is still open on old articles, so do feel free to chip in on something old even if there hasn’t been any discussion on it for years.

Tim
      Keymaster

Just a question about server performance – when you post a comment or something on the forums, would you say the site responded quickly or slowly? (Or, of course, somewhere in between the two)

Annette A
      Participant

When I’m posting from somewhere with a decent broadband speed (ie at work) it’s pretty fast, I’d say. It takes a while when I’m at home, due to the pathetic phone network BT have saddled us with in our village, and a lack of will on the part of virgin or anyone else to cable us. So I’d say the servers themselves were pretty good.

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

I would say the servers were a little on the slow side, but not so bad that it poses a problem even for someone with such a low tolerance of slow sites as me.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I do find the site slightly slower to render than some others. Not really problematically so, but I have noticed that there’s a noticable delay on domain lookup, even before the page renders, and a slightly slow load while things gradually get themselves hidden/visible and all in the right places (I’ve always assumed this is the javascript/ajax loading in combined with jquery waiting for pageload to complete before executing)
      </geek>

Tim
      Keymaster

@mike – see if you think the site’s a bit quicker since 27-09-10 – it’s now moved to a new server and it’s a touch quicker I think. I might also move the mySQL database to a new server too…!

Stephen
      Participant

Site is much quicker since the 27th for me :)

Tim
      Keymaster

Good good good!

Tim
      Keymaster

Latest developments:
      BuddyPress updated to latest version, you now see icons in the activity stream. Woo!
      – Right hand navigation tidied up with a “quick links” box at the top with links to the main parts of the site.
      – Facebook box on right hand size made less irritating and nice logos with links to other social media guff put in
      – Sticky welcome post on front page

Tim
      Keymaster

Eagle-eyed readers will notice the sticky welcome post on front page has a sub-title – this week it’s “laughing to hide the tears”. I fancy I might change it from time to time, so if you’d like to suggest a sub-title let me know here!

Alison
      Keymaster

@Tim I love the “Articles from the archives” bit on the right hand nav. There’s stuff in there I’d forgotten I’d written!

Tim
      Keymaster

@alison – I know! As at today’s date we have 256 articles – and there’s some really good stuff in the archives. Even though I say so myself! :-D

Tim
      Keymaster

Minor update – posts now have the date at the top instead of the time. A two minute fix for something that’s really been annoying me for months!

Tim
      Keymaster

Site updates:

1) the much neglected “Resources” section has been tidied up and prettified. http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/resources
      2) the top menu has been tidied, removing the “Groups” and “Members” tabs which were never used
      3) A new page for posting up Excel templates for blood glucose logging – http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/resources/logging-templates/

lizz
      Participant

Aha, I was wondering where all the tabs had gone. I find when I’ve logged to the ‘forums’ page, often the time of the last posting is say 59 seconds ago or something, but if I go to that posting in fact it was 20 minutes or 2 hours.

I have found the site less easy to use than others, which make sense very quickly.

lizz
      Participant

PLUS for instance, I just posted that comment above, and after posting I was still on the first page, and my comment was here, on the second page. That is very illogical.

Tim
      Keymaster

@lizz – the time thing being wonky is a “feature” (or “bug” as we like to call them) in Buddypress, so there’s not much I can do about it I’m afraid.

I agree – I think the Forums and Activity features aren’t entirely user-friendly; but I’m stuck with Buddypress as it was, frankly, the best of a bad lot which fitted my criteria for blog / forum integration. There is better forum software out there (older readers will recall the forums used to be completely separate from the blog and were accessed through a sub-domain and which used some different forum software) , but it just doesn’t mesh so well with the blog. I guess we just have to take the rough with the smooth.

Stephen
      Participant

Hey @tim – how do I navigate to my scary article from the Resources section? Can’t find it! :)

PS – CGM one will be written on Monday.

Tim
      Keymaster

Blog updates:

1) mySQL database moved to a new server, so hopefully better performance and fewer crappy timeouts!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Good work @tim
      Just to bug ya.. Need to short your blog description out for us using mobile like devices. I know, I know you could not give a rats ***, but we live in hope.. Emailed you a screenshot.

Tim
      Keymaster

Done and done Mike!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Good and good! :-) ” iPad say’s hi **wave** ”

Tim
      Keymaster

You haven’t got an iPad have you Mike? You didn’t mention that in our last 300 emails at all ;-)

Stephen
      Participant

@tim – what you done to the theme? It’s hideous!

Tim
      Keymaster

@stephen – he he! Thanks! What specifically don’t you like? I only updated the header…

Stephen
      Participant

You’re welcome :)

Personal opinion : don’t like the gradient – just seems to darken the whole page.
      Professional opinion : blue text on grey background (subtitle) is not a combination I would use on a web site Blue text is dodgy due to poor reception by the eye anyway (especially my knackered ones!) but when used on grey it’s not terribly readable.

In my humble opinion …….

Tim
      Keymaster

Didn’t you get the memo about not being allowed to express personal opinions on here? :-)

There was a dark gradient there before (black at the top to navy blue below), so this one’s actually a bit lighter. TBH, I’m not really that keen on the look and feel of any of the site, but I don’t have the mad design skillz to improve it that much.

If you fancy re-doing the banner yourself to something you would like to see, then it needs to be 1250×125 pixels in size and the font is “London Between” which you can get from dafont.com. :-D

Stephen
      Participant

The memo was in blue text so I couldn’t read it :P I wonder if the green used on the “Reply Posted” and other notifications would work ….. I’ve got some serious astronomy to do tonight but if I get 10 minutes I’ll see if anything springs to mind :)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Open it up to the floor, perhaps a little competition and mini poll/vote to decide which one?

Just a thought?

Tim
      Keymaster

Vote? Poll? Common consent? All sounds dangerously communist to me.

All I want is for a talented designer to come forward and offer to redo the entire for free. I do realise the prospects of this happening in reality are very slim.

Annette A
      Participant

The blue subtitle is almost invisible on my screen, as the hue is too close to the grey.
      (I’m a born critic, I know :-) )

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ooh, I’d love to offer to help if only I was a talented web designer. In my opinion the banner that mentions rotting toes (nice) should be in orange (i.e. the same orange that shows times since recent activity) or white. It would stand out a lot better, unless you don’t want it to stand out :o)

Anonymous
      Inactive

And by banner I mean the text in the banner that mentions the toes thing, not the whole banner! :o)

lizz
      Participant

OMG never noticed the rotting toes! I may have stayed away if I had!

Tim
      Keymaster

@claire – I kind of wanted the sub-title to be more subtle than the main title. It is, after all, a sub-title. I might play around with it a touch more as it does all look a little goth.
      @lizz – the sub-title is designed to put off anyone without a sense of humour. :-D

Alison
      Keymaster

As co-writer of this thing I suppose I should care about all of this but I’m afraid my anorak is in the wash so I won’t be able to join the pixel/banner/theme/colourblind/ipad geekfest. If I was to summon up every ounce of effort and force myself to have an opinion, I’d say that I like the new banner thing less than the old one but I’d struggle to say why.

Stephen
      Participant

@alison, did you miss the revolution? Geeks are no longer anorak wearing losers! I present to you Geek 1.0 (yes I admit I stole the image for my avatar) vs Geek 2.0 (and yes I am that cool!)

http://zoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/geek2_0.gif

Tim
      Keymaster

It’s not that bad a new banner, damn you all!

I wanted to use a new and more distinct font – which we could also use on the forthcoming video blog titles. So I redid the header and the colours too while I was at it. (As an aside, I’m really into fonts now, having read “Just My Type” (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Just-My-Type-About-Fonts/dp/1846683017) – a book all about fonts – over Christmas).

Alison
      Keymaster

@Stephen Loser is a bit strong. I’d have settled for the fact that you’re all a bit special. The husband is a fully fledged geek so I am experienced in these matters. I know you no longer have real anoraks, but I’m convinced you all have virtual anoraks that you put on at times like this. I’ve seen it happen too many times ;-)

lizz
      Participant

It’s a slippery slope into geekdom when you start bandying around phrases like ‘I read a book about fonts over Christmas’. And think that a remark such as ‘I’m really into fonts now’ can pass as an aside.

Although, actually, I have to admit… I LOVE browsing font sites. I often download something special for the weekend. Or a particular project. In fact I have a regular weekly update by email of new, spectacular, bright, crazy, cool or smoooooooth fonts.

Just off to put my bedtime anorak on.

Tim
      Keymaster

@Lizz – well, I would highly recommend said book above ^^ it’s quite an entertaining read. Especially the bit about the infamous antics of Mr Gill Sans.

Annette A
      Participant

I hate the Gill Sans font. (It has bad memories for me). I must get hold of this book, it sounds interesting…(Being a geek just means you know more about the subject in question (fonts? Banners?) than the person calling you a geek :-) .)

Stephen
      Participant

Hmm @tim – does the Facebook Connect not persist your logged in state? I hate having to log in each time I go to a site :)

Tim
      Keymaster

@stephen – I’ve no idea – evidently not. You can still use your old Shoot Up log in if it doesn’t do what you want.

Annette A
      Participant

@stephen has found a minor glitch in my logging sheet (cheers Stephen!) – It only affects the graph of the bolusing on the 8th day. I’ve sent a new version to @Tim to upload, (for those who know how to use excel quite well it’s straight forward to correct, for those who dont, just use the new version when it arrives :-) )
      (If anyone finds any other problems, let me know – I tried to find all of the them (its mainly to do with where the graphs are taking their data from), but there’s always one that sneaks through…)

Tim
      Keymaster

New version uploaded and the old link should now grab the new file!

Hairy Gnome
      Participant

@Tim – is there any possibility you can allow editing of one’s own posts on the main blog? Not essential I know, but despite my best proof reading efforts the occasional typo slips through, it’s embarrassing! :)

Tim
      Keymaster

@teloz – you should be able to as you have “Contributor” rights – I’ll drop you an email.

Tim
      Keymaster

This is only a test after an upgrade – remain calm!

Tim
      Keymaster

I’ve just re-jigged the links page to make it more user-friendly and actually slightly useful:

http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/resources/useful-websites/

I will have missed approximately 16.9 million useful websites, so could you reply here or drop me an email with the ones I’ve neglected to list please? Ta!

Dave
      Participant

All good. Can I add http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/ that I was directed towards by @Alison for a quick carb counting guide? Just completed the course and whilst I’m sure it’s nowhere near as good as the the full-on DAFNE it’s a start.

Also for the manufacturers I’d add http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/ as I like their meters and you can quickly ask online for replacement batteries and books etc – just don’t expect them to be too quick in delivery.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I would second the BDEC course, good intro to carb counting.. Also something complete away from Diabetes – http://theoatmeal.com/ We all need a larf from time to time. :)

Tim
      Keymaster

Thanks chaps – duly added!

Tim
      Keymaster

In other news, I was looking through the stats today and loads of our traffic comes from search engine searches for terms like “king charles spaniel, king charles cavalier, cavalier king charles spaniel” and “Woof!” (http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2010/07/woof/) is one of our most popular articles.

More people come to Shoot Up by searching for dogs than diabetes. This is so depressing I don’t even know where to begin! :-D

Annette A
      Participant

Any chance of adding another converter to the RHS – one that covers the change from % to mmol (or whatever the new version is actually in) for HbA1Cs?

Tim
      Keymaster

Next you’ll be wanting the moon on a stick! I’ll have a look…

Tim
      Keymaster

Do you know if there’s an easy formula to convert one to the other?

Annette A
      Participant

Is it sugar free? If so, I’d like 2 please :-)

Annette A
      Participant

Oh, yes there is. I have seen it, I’ll go hunt.

Tim
      Keymaster

Wikipedia says IFCC-HbA1c (mmol/mol) = [DCCT-HbA1c (%) – 2.15] × 10.929

Hmmm….

Annette A
      Participant

Voila:
      />
      (old value HbA1c (%) – 2.15) x 10.929 = new value in mmol/mol.

Annette A
      Participant

Mine came from Diabetes UK, so for once you can believe Wikipedia!

Annette A
      Participant

Why do square brackets (and contents) disappear when looked at in the Activities tab?

Tim
      Keymaster

Square brackets and what not get stripped out to (probably) prevent insertion of rogue code! I’ve got a new box down at the bottom right with a converter. Amusingly it gives the wrong answer.

Tim
      Keymaster

I’ve taken it off and given up! If anyone is better at me at basic Javascript functions (!) then could they drop me an email please? :-)

Alison
      Keymaster

That would be handy. My head is currently in the sand about the HbA1c changes – after using the old way for practically my entire life, I feel like a pensioner who’s suddenly been told they have to measure things in centimeters and kilograms!

Tim
      Keymaster

Blog latest: just a small technical tweak so that member profile pages don’t get indexed on search engines. This should protect you from stalkers and Internet wierdos. There are more than enough already on Shoot Up ;-b

Tim
      Keymaster

Blog latest: another minor tweak – the section with the user pictures on right hand side now displays the top twelve contributors in terms of comments on blog posts in the last 30 days (excluding me and Alison). It used to display the last 15 logged-in users. Thought it might make a change.

Alison
      Keymaster

Ah, I sense someone trying to start some competition!

Tim
      Keymaster

Indeed! Sadly it doesn’t count forum posts – which is a bit of pain, but hey hum!

Cecile
      Participant

@tim: Thanks to your site’s apartheid policy, my suppressed horde of limericks have no voting power…tut, tut, tut 🙄

Oh, and while your hands are all greasy with tweaking, can’t you enable users to specify their therapies (pump,pens,pills) in their profiles?

Tim
      Keymaster

Thank heavens for that – there’s 320-odd posts in that thread now!

In terms of greasy hands, your wish is my command – I’ve added a “About you & your diabetes” text box to the profiles, so you can fill in a bit more detail. You can edit your profile by clicking on your name in the top right corner > Profile tab > Edit profile > Fill in new box.

Don’t say I’m not kind to you!

Annette A
      Participant

You’re not kind to @ckoei …Oh sorry, you said don’t…

Cecile
      Participant

@annette: 😆 (this, along with @lizz‘s McTit, will bless me with a jolly smirk ’til doomsday)

Tim
      Keymaster

src=”smileys/frown.gif” width=”” height=”” alt=”:-(” title=”:-(” class=”bbcode_smiley” />

Tim
      Keymaster

Changed it back to the old style thingy as I preferred it.

Tim
      Keymaster

I’ve added an “Off topic” section to the forums – for discussion of things non-diabetic, for example what I’m planning to read on my holidays. We’ll see if anyone uses it and will maintain / delete it as required!

Tim
      Keymaster

Upgraded blog to latest major release of BuddyPress – which might give us some new features to play with. Chief amongst these is the ability to use the search box in the top right to search the forums *and* blogs posts from the same place. Hurrah!

Updated the theme to latest theme – will fix the header soon.

Annette A
      Participant

But I’ve lost the little link ‘View’ which allowed me to jump straight to the post, rather than the start of the thread. Can we have it back? Or has it moved somewhere I cant see it?

Cecile
      Participant

Click the time-link to view&see…

Tim
      Keymaster

@ckoei – cool! I hadn’t noticed that!

Annette A
      Participant

Hey! Cheers @ckoei – it didnt even look like a link anymore.

Cecile
      Participant

I’m just relieved this is Shoot up – if it had been Twitter, a blind poking at meaningless symbols would’ve caused friends, favourites & retweets (phew!)

Tim
      Keymaster

If anyone cares, we’ve just turned down yet another offer for advertising on the site. Aside from the stripykat advert on the bottom right, we’ve always had a strict no advertising policy. Even ads from reputable pharma companies. This is because I hate blogs covered in ads and I presume you do too.

If you’re interested, Alison and I share the hosting costs for the site between us. They’re pretty modest and so we’re not prevented from running our second yachts, etc.

Tim
      Keymaster

More updates on the site – a new look (which is pretty similar to the old look, but just tweaked a bit). There’s also a new front page – which is designed to allow quick access to everything that’s on the site – both the forums and the blog in one place. Hopefully you’ll hate it and yearn for the old format again.

Tim
      Keymaster

More updates on the site – a new look (which is pretty similar to the old look, but just tweaked a bit). There’s also a new front page – which is designed to allow quick access to everything that’s on the site – both the forums and the blog in one place. Hopefully you’ll hate it and yearn for the old format again.

Annette A
      Participant

Don’t like the font… :-)

Tim
      Keymaster

Interestingly enough the one at the top in one of Google’s web fonts that’s generated on the fly. Technology and all that!

Annette A
      Participant

It is easier to use/see on a mobile device now though (that’s an android smartphone, not a fruit based product, although I’m sure it still applies…)

Tim
      Keymaster

Is it? I’ve had another user on Twitter saying it’s worse to look at on a mobile device! I haven’t actually looked at it on mine – that would imply some sort of design process, rather than just making it up on the fly

Cecile
      Participant

My cheapskate non-fruit chops the front page category headers in half…and gives Shoot Up an athletic flavour :)

Cecile
      Participant

The home page’s “Recent sitewide activity” takes about half a day to update (though you do get it clicking the “Activity” tab at the top).

Tim
      Keymaster

@ckoei – that’s a feature not a bug – the feeds on the front page are cached to save them having to be reloaded every time someone visits – thus saving wear and tear on the server.

I guessed that most people come and have a look at the site at most once a day or so or every couple of days, so it should give most people an overview of what’s going on. The activity tab is – as always – the place for your latest Shoot Up fix!

Cecile
      Participant

@tim: Pah! You should change “Recent” to “Past”, then… ;-)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Well I like the new look!
      Its rather tastefully done in ;

Tim
      Keymaster

Thanks @Mustard – I wanted it to be easy on the eye. I hate forums that have too much going on – especially forums that allow signatures at the bottom of every post – awful, just awful!

The blatant advertising is a very important part of the site – I think everyone should do their Christmas shopping over at stripykat.com – the Kindle cases are selling like hot cakes! :-D

Anonymous
      Inactive

@tim

Anyword on how the mobile side of the site goes?
      I’ve gone from it being rather cluttered to just getting a blank page when I click on forums (the blogs page works though)

Is this payback for complaining?

Tim
      Keymaster

@furrypaul – damned right, next complaint and you’re banned from the site! ;-)

Nah, I haven’t looked at it yet, but it’s working its way up the list.

Tim
      Keymaster

@furrypaul – I’ve tweaked the site and it should now display better on a mobile device. Can you let me know if it doesn’t? :-)

Tim
      Keymaster

@furrypaul – I’ve tweaked the site and it should now display better on a mobile device. Can you let me know if it doesn’t? :-)

Tim
      Keymaster

If anyone cares, Shoot Up is now on a new hosting platform. You shouldn’t really notice any difference – aside from, hopefully, a slight speed increase.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Whatever happened with the transfer at Lunch its sorted my phone out!
      I can see the site again in a readable form, don’t press any more buttons on the server & I’ll do the same with my phone!

Tim
      Keymaster

@furrypaul – I fixed that about a week ago! But yesterday I also had to remove the compression doubry*, which might effect how you see the site too if you were using an older browser.

*”doubry” being a technical term

Anonymous
      Inactive

The update last week let me access the site on the phone again but this ones actually made it so I can use it.

I’d been meaning to drop you a line to let you know but I’m more often on phone than by a pc.

Tim
      Keymaster

Ahhh – that’ll definitely be the compression thing then…

Tim
      Keymaster

In other news, I’m working on tweaking the front page so that it updates more quickly. You have to wait a day or so for the latest posts, etc., to appear, which isn’t ideal. If any readers are experts on incorporating feeds into WordPress pages, then please do get in touch :-)

Tim
      Keymaster

Front page now tweaked – should update recent activity, news posts and so on instantly. If it looks a bit weird then it might be you’re caching the old CSS file – it’ll sort itself out soon enough

Tim
      Keymaster

There’s a new front page – I would like to say this was a planned change. However, a plugin update destroyed my old front page and *cough* I didn’t have a backup because I’m an idiot. So a new page was rapidly rebuilt from scratch. D’oh!

Tim
      Keymaster

Right – I’m planning to put in some actual and real time and effort into ironing out some of the bugs and crappy “features” on the blog and forums. So if there is anything – in terms of features – you would like to see on the blog or anything that particularly annoys you then let me know by adding to this thread.

I will try and solve the more realistic and sensible issues!

lizz
      Participant

Realistic and sensible? What could be more realistic and sensible than a free chocolate bar dispensed every time you log in?

Tim
      Keymaster

@lizz – sounds good to me; I’ll see what I can do.

Annette A
      Participant

Sugar free (or not affecting bg), I hope, but tasting like proper chocolate. Please.
      (I can imagine a desktop having a dispenser drawer, but what about laptops? And smartphones, well now that would be a challenge) ;-)

Tim
      Keymaster

I was going to dispense “diabetic” chocolate bars. Tasty but they will result in a mild side-effect of uncontrollable diarrhoea. Sound okay?

Annette A
      Participant

Tasty in what way? They’re horrible.

Tim
      Keymaster

So you’re worried more about the taste than the uncontrollable diarrhoea?

Annette A
      Participant

My experience is that I have to eat an awful lot of it before any effects show themselves. (I’m ‘lucky’ in that respect.) And as its not so nice, I never get to that point :-)

lizz
      Participant

Oh! Don’t you find that chocolate is quite good at not raising the blood sugar quickly as it has fat in? I never eat the nasty stuff. And, like Annette, have never suffered even if I do…

Tim
      Keymaster

I was going to specially commission chocolate bars that caused uncontrollable diarrhoea.

lizz
      Participant

Well, I guess that’ll be a good slimming Aid. you could advertise in all those slimming magazines and down the right-hand side of Facebook. Have Diabetes? The little tip that makes Drs hate you – join Shootup the blog to find out how to shed ponds and die laughing!

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Tim so that would be XXXXLax ?

The main time that diabetes made me lose weight was before I knew I had it. Stuck in hospital after diagnosis the NHS idea on how to fatten me up was to feed me three diabetic meals each meal time.

Thats not treatment – it’s torture !

Tim
      Keymaster

You poor thing @ladyupnorth – did you need counselling for such torture?

Tim
      Keymaster

There’s been an astonishing rise in the amount of spam submissions to the blog; so I’ve added a bunch more anti-spam defences. If everything works as planned, human uses won’t notice any difference but if you find anything doesn’t work or you get automatically banned (!) then drop me an email.

Tim
      Keymaster

Oh, if anyone cares we’re currently re-designing the site to make it better. At this stage it’s not wildly different but essentially is intended to have a more distinctive look and feel and a front page that actually looks nice and works! Anyway, watch this space.

Dave
      Participant

Shall I prepare my “it’s not working on mobile devices” email? ;-)

Anonymous
      Inactive

No that “its all broken & I hate you for doing that” email, tweet & forum post is my job, can’t think why @tim doesn’t give me his phone number ;-)

But…

Why do all the forum avatars have blue circles on them now (or at least that’s what it looks like on my phone!)

Tim
      Keymaster

@seasiderdave – I’ve been checking the new version of the site on a mobile device as I go along, so it will work. At least it will work on my Samsung phone that I’ve tested it on and that’s all that counts to me!

Tim
      Keymaster

@furrypaul – he he he! I’ve spent a surprising number of hours on the new site making sure all the code is done properly, rather than hacked together as I go along. So it should a) all work and b) continue to work when plugins are updated, etc., etc.

The blue circles appear all over the place as I changed the CSS file to display a blue circle graphic wherever there was a HTML bullet code. This was to make the headlines on the front page look nice. However, HTML bullet codes appear *all over* the site in all sorts of weird places – hence the graphic appear where it shouldn’t. This is one of the many things that is sorted out on the new look site.

Tim
      Keymaster

By the way, don’t get too hyped up about the new look site – it’s not that different, just tidied up.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oooh I shall ready my flood of “I preferred the old look” posts. Taking my inspiration from all those that I so enjoyed reading when DUK had the affrontery to update their visual identity without asking for a signed approval slip from every single Diabetic in the UK

Tim
      Keymaster

Ha ha ha! As the Ts&Cs say “Shoot Up is not a democracy”; so much like North Korean leaders we will simply impose our will with the new look and feel!

I was just looking at the earliest copy of the site on archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090424124758/http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/

I think we should have the “What’s hot and not in diabetes” column from the original site back!

lizz
      Participant

Ooh, looking forward to the new look. I shall expect to like it. And am also dusting off the affronted comment section in my collection.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@tim I like the 2009 site style, it works perfectly on my phone too!

New fangled CSS stuff, I may start using the internet archive as a proxy. ;-)

Dave
      Participant

I concur 2009-style rocks. Where’s the online petition? What’s the hashtag? Let’s get it, erm, “trending” < -- is that the right term? It’ll be better on dial-up too as it’s smaller. (I wish I could type the sound of a modem)

Tim
      Keymaster

The observant might notice the site looks slightly different; this is a mere, minor tidy up. The big design change is still in the pipeline. Oooh, exciting!

Tim
      Keymaster

The observant might notice the site looks slightly different; this is a mere, minor tidy up. The big design change is still in the pipeline. Oooh, exciting!

Anonymous
      Inactive

@tim

Bloomin marvelous, the site looks great & is displaying properly on my phone for the first time in ages!

Don’t touch anything!

Anonymous
      Inactive

@tim

Bloomin marvelous, the site looks great & is displaying properly on my phone for the first time in ages!

Don’t touch anything!

Tim
      Keymaster

Hmm, we’re planning lots more look and feel changes. They will be good, but what I could do is let you have a look at the beta versions on your phone to see if they work. I’ll email you when we’re closer to a finished design. How about that for a slice of fried gold?

Tim
      Keymaster

Hmm, we’re planning lots more look and feel changes. They will be good, but what I could do is let you have a look at the beta versions on your phone to see if they work. I’ll email you when we’re closer to a finished design. How about that for a slice of fried gold?

Annette A
      Participant

What have you done? I try to find the most recent posts, and I can only see 5 of them?

Annette A
      Participant

What have you done? I try to find the most recent posts, and I can only see 5 of them?

Tim
      Keymaster

@annette – you should see the latest five posts at the top of the left hand side but if you click on “Blog” on the menu at the top you get to see everything.

Oh, or do you mean on the “Activity” tab? If so, that’s broken – I just need to fix it – oops. [Edit] Now all fixed!

Tim
      Keymaster

@annette – you should see the latest five posts at the top of the left hand side but if you click on “Blog” on the menu at the top you get to see everything.

Oh, or do you mean on the “Activity” tab? If so, that’s broken – I just need to fix it – oops. [Edit] Now all fixed!

Tim
      Keymaster

The blog seems to be a little flaky at the minute – the database wot runs it keeps getting corrupted. I’ve repaired most stuff but if something behaves oddly then do drop me an email and I’ll do my best to fix it!

Tim
      Keymaster

The blog seems to be a little flaky at the minute – the database wot runs it keeps getting corrupted. I’ve repaired most stuff but if something behaves oddly then do drop me an email and I’ll do my best to fix it!

Tim
      Keymaster

I’ve had to install yet more defences against spam – we were getting loads of spammy sign ups – which while said users can’t post comments it does rather clog up the database. Anti spam plugins can sometimes effect real people so if you have any problems email me at tim@[the site’s domain].

Tim
      Keymaster

I’m back from my holidays if anyone is wondering why there’s a sudden flurry of posts from me. You probably hadn’t even noticed I was gone *sniff*

Tim
      Keymaster

Update: yet more anti-spam defences put in place. Let me know if you have any problems logging in / viewing the site (though if you’ve got problems viewing the site then you won’t be able to read this…)

Tim
      Keymaster

Shoot Up is now hosted on a new webserver. Hopefully it’ll speed up site performance; if anything appears broken drop me an email and I’ll fix it.

Tim
      Keymaster

For once, it appears that a major update to Shoot Up has worked without any surprises, mysterious crashes or catastrophic loss of data. Perhaps a first for Shoot Up!

Tim
      Keymaster

That’s the site updated with a new theme and more emphasis given to the forums and that sort of thing. Enjoy!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Um. This may be intentional – but it’s odd at least. When I open the main page (this here, there: http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/ without any subpages) I get a few random posts displayed. Which is occasionally confusing, when something “brand new 2009” pops up. It makes for interesting reading, but I sort of liked the chronological order.

Edit: Also .. refreshing the page gives me new random posts. I’m not sure that means it’s me being especially weird or “that’s how it was planned”.

Tim
      Keymaster

I’ve just smartened up the site a little – let me know if anything’s broken

Dave
      Participant

God bless Google Chrome.
      This page is saved in my favourites http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/activity/

Appears now not to show recent activity. Shall I delete the link or any chance of it being resurrected as I always used it as a cheats way to see if anything new had been put on the ;

Tim
      Keymaster

Yeah, I turned that function off as it was getting spammed to hell. But now I’ve put some new anti-spam stuff on, I might turn it on again. Gimme five minutes!

Tim
      Keymaster

If you find anything usual with your user account – it posts as “anonymous” rather than your name and suchlike – then do let me know and I’ll fix your account.

Tim
      Keymaster

Software update – you can now use emojis on the blog and forums 😀 Please don’t.

Tim
      Keymaster

And the activity stream is working again after deleting several thousand spam accounts and over 10,000 spam activity comments! Hopefully I’ll be able to keep on top of the spam now.

I’ve added a handy link in the top menu. Whoo hoo!

Viewing 157 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.